The Wonder Kid's Corner

Hello,

You are currently viewing this forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to our topics.

By joining our community you will have the privilege to create your own topics, reply to others' messages, respond to polls and access many other special features.

Join our community instantly... Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free of spam!

Be sure to check out the frequently asked questions or contact the administrators regarding any issue.

Warm regards,

The Board Management Team

Global Warming

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Global Warming

Post by Shanu on Sat 12 Jan 2008 - 15:37

The amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has increased by 25% over the past 200 years. This has coincided with global industrialisation and increased use of fossil fuels. The amount of carbon (as carbon dioxide) in the atmosphere is now increasing by 4 billion tonnes a year.
The Earth's surface is heated by radiation from the Sun. Carbon dioxide and other gases in the air trap this heat radiation and prevent much of it escaping into space. The greater the amount of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases, the larger is the amount of heat that is trapped and the hotter the Earth becomes. This temperature rise is called global warming.

There are several consequences of global warming:

• Sea water will expand and sea levels will rise, causing flooding of low-lying land. A rise of 20 cm is predicted by 2050.

• If the temperature keeps rising, the polar ice caps will melt and sea levels could rise by 20 m. This is not expected to happen for at least another century, but there are already signs of Antartic ice melting. If the ice caps melt, some flat low altitude countries such as the Maldives could disappear.

• There will be big changes in global climate. Equatorial countries such as Singapore will probably experience more rain, but other countries in North America and Europe will probably suffer drought. This would result in serious food shortages.
What can be done to prevent global warming? The only practical plan at present is to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide being put in the atmosphere. This can only be done by reducing the use of fossil fuels and using other energy sources. More electricity could be generated using wind, tidal and hydroelectric power. Hydrogen, produced using solar energy, could be used as a substitute for hydrocarbons fuels in vehicles. Greater use could be made of electric vehicles.
Reducing carbon dioxide requires international agreement. There is no point in one country reducing carbon dioxide emissions on its own as a movement of atmospheric carbon dioxide does not stop at international borders. The first such agreement was made in 1999, when 38 industrialised countries agreed to cut their 'greenhouse gas' emissions to 5% below 1990 levels by 2012.

Developing nations are not bound by this agreement as fossil fuels are at present the only convenient and cheap large-scale source of energy. Limiting their use would be expensive and may retard development of poorer countries. Do we have other alternatives?

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Re: Global Warming

Post by Varun on Sat 12 Jan 2008 - 20:06

The biggest cause of global warming is the carbon dioxide released when fossil fuels like oil and coal are burnt for energy. So, when you save energy, you fight global warming and save money, of course. Here are some easy steps I think we can all undertake:

• Raise your voice. We need new laws that will steer our nation towards the most important solutions to global warming; cleaner cars and cleaner power plants. Send a message to your elected officials letting them know that you will hold them accountable for what they do or fail to do about global warming.
  • Choose an efficient vehicle. A car that gets 20 miles per gallon will emit about 50 tons of carbon dioxide over its lifetime. A car getting 40 miles per gallon will emit half that much. When buying your next car pick the least-polluting, most efficient vehicle that meets your needs.
  • Drive smart. Get your engine optimized and keep your tires inflated as it will help fuel efficiency.
  • Drive less. When possible, choose alternatives to driving (public transit, biking, walking).
  • Buy energy-efficient appliances. Use your consumer power when buying appliances by shopping for energy-efficient models.
  • Replace your light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. While compact fluorescents are initially more expensive than the incandescent bulbs most people use, they last 10 times as long. What's more, a compact fluorescent will lower your energy bills heaps and it will also keep half a ton of carbon dioxide out of the air.
  • Cut down the unnecessary heating and cooling systems in your home and office and reduce the burning of fossil fuels.
  • Choose renewable energy. If you live in a state where you can choose your electricity supplier, pick a company that generates at least half its power from wind, solar energy and other clean sources.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prithvi on Mon 14 Jan 2008 - 17:06

Causes of Global Warming

“As human-caused biodiversity loss and climate disruption gain ground, we need to keep our sights clear and understand that the measure of a threat is not a matter of whether it is made on purpose, but of how much loss it may cause. It's an ancient habit to go after those we perceive to be evil because they intended to do harm. It's harder, but more effective, to "go after," meaning to more effectively educate and socialize, those vastly larger numbers of our fellow humans who are not evil, but whose behavior may in fact be far more destructive in the long run." (Ed Ayres, editor of Worldwatch magazine, Nov/Dec 2001)

Carbon Dioxide from Power Plants
In 2002 about 40% of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions stem from the burning of fossil fuels for the purpose of electricity generation. Coal accounts for 93 percent of the emissions from the electric utility industry. US Emissions Inventory 2004 Executive Summary p. 10

Coal emits around 1.7 times as much carbon per unit of energy when burned as does natural gas and 1.25 times as much as oil. Natural gas gives off 50% of the carbon dioxide, the principal greenhouse gas, released by coal and 25% less carbon dioxide than oil, for the same amount of energy produced. Coal contains about 80 percent more carbon per unit of energy than gas does, and oil contains about 40 percent more. For the typical U.S. household, a metric ton of carbon equals about 10,000 miles of driving at 25 miles per gallon of gasoline or about one year of home heating using a natural gas-fired furnace or about four months of electricity from coal-fired generation.

Prithvi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by visham on Mon 14 Jan 2008 - 18:28

gagne droit sa? copy/paste? lol!

visham
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Prithvi on Mon 14 Jan 2008 - 18:43

nonnononnononononon!!

To bzin lire li bien kompren li aprer si truV bzin ene ti changement to change ou soin to less li!!Mone bien dir la varun!! Neutral

Prithvi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 14 Jan 2008 - 23:26

Prithvi, this is called plagiarism. Evil or Very Mad

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Tue 15 Jan 2008 - 15:57

whatever it may be, pouvi zot donne zot l'opinion. Others, plz do participe, it's something very urgent that we r talking about.

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 16 Jan 2008 - 1:42

Shanu, I admit, you got a good idea about where to retrieve your facts and ideas for your General Paper essays. lol!

Anyway, if you elaborate well on the points I listed above it should be enough for you.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 16 Jan 2008 - 11:41

lol!

Surely this will help. Anyway we should discuss other topics as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Wed 16 Jan 2008 - 12:02

Varun wrote:Shanu, I admit, you got a good idea about where to retrieve your facts and ideas for your General Paper essays. lol!

Anyway, if you elaborate well on the points I listed above it should be enough for you.

I already have Encarta and Wikipedia where i can find much more points than you posted above, and obviously the points are well elaborated there. If i had taken the pain to post this topic here, it's simply that i want to have the opinion of each and everyone, that's all, thank you!

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 16 Jan 2008 - 12:06

study

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 16 Jan 2008 - 13:56

Shanu...
Well I do think Varun is right no?
Coz you want opinions... ok but to consolidate their opinions facts are needed and by reading them our general knowledge will increase on their own. Now dont tell me that by reading the opinions you will believe them. Of course not since the opinions wont be helpful to anyone, its only the facts. And at the end we can see that the forum is helpful to our studies also.
Am I right Guys?
Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavi on Wed 16 Jan 2008 - 15:49

Vishaan eski tone compren ki tone ecrire toem la?? lol
Shanu pane fini dire kifer line fer sa topic? alors toi ki to p kozer ta?? Li kav vrai sa pou aide toi dan l'etude mo dakor ar toi. Mais ki to p rode prouver a la fin, Varun in zis pren 1 ti plaisir ar Shanu kan line dir li sa pou aide li in General Paper mais toi dan place to contribuer a sa topic la, to p vine avek to ban kestion out of subject kom dab. Tout le temp to confused mem toi Vishaan??
Pli extra ki tou toi, to pa contribuer a sa topic la mais to vine avek to ban kestion imbecil la..

Kavi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Wed 16 Jan 2008 - 16:07

Vishaan i think you got the answer from Kavi.
And yes Vishaan, i'll believe in the opinions koz at least banla pa pou koz cakes kouma toi.
Lire bien lot kou avant kozer.

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Smita on Fri 18 Jan 2008 - 20:08

Aar Aar la.. Vishaan n Shanu always in tug of war??? scratch

Smita
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Sun 20 Jan 2008 - 14:05

No Smita, i'm not fighting wiz Vishaan, i'm just trying to make him see reasons.

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavi on Sun 20 Jan 2008 - 19:32

ya. Koz the are sometimes he talks nonsense.

Kavi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Ailine on Mon 21 Jan 2008 - 14:09

Suspect lol! study

Ailine
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Mon 21 Jan 2008 - 22:00

Tawa p soF mo truV... Anyways, I think Kavi and Shanu are right if we take the words of Varun into consideration.
Varun wrote:I created this forum with the idea of building it into a community where it can act as a platform for the young generation to exchange ideas, debate about delicate but important topics and most of
all, share education.

I cannot suggest another name for this forum before this goal is achieved. For this to happen, I need all your support and participation. When I talk about participation I do not only mean posting jokes or one line messages without any weight but also, about things which disturb you in your everyday life, about things which affect this world (both, the good and the bad), about things which need to be implemented in our everyday life, etc.

Last edited by Sneha on Mon 1 Sep 2008 - 19:13; edited 1 time in total

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Bhavna on Thu 24 Jan 2008 - 7:40

mo dakor ek toi sneh! bt then the topic ti lor global warming n mo p trouver ki zot p koz tou sof sa! alor retourn lor topic la..i wanted to no wat is each one of u doing to help against global warming in ur everyday life? dire moi si mo right or wrong..
mone ale gorge la rivier noir n bien zoli n natural laba. ti ena n bus dimoune akoz ti ena n picnic laba. n bouz li tir so take away briyani n then li zet sak plastik la enba kot li ti p dibout la. mone aler n nicely mone dire li ramass sa plastik la..li dire moi non!! mo dire li akoz dimoune couma li em ki morice oci malague..li dire moi pa mo problem sa..n si pa ki..foder mo met are li n ti pre pu zour so ban ancetre lerla line ramass sa sak platik la..bt mo pa croir ki line tir n lesson de sa!
mentaliter bien bizin sanzer! koz i believe si each n every one fer n zefort then we will have a better life.

Bhavna
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Thu 24 Jan 2008 - 13:42

True Bhavna! Dimoune bizin change zot mentalité afin de pouvoir respirer dan 1 monde sain.

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Thu 24 Jan 2008 - 13:45

You too, Shanu... Razz

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Thu 24 Jan 2008 - 14:42

to kav dire moi dan ki fason Varun?!

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitra on Sat 2 Feb 2008 - 19:02

Thats a very constructive way of using this forum, Keep it up guys, its good to debate on critical issues for the environment like that...that should be an effective way of learning...

Chitra
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sat 2 Feb 2008 - 23:16

Shanu wrote:to kav dire moi dan ki fason Varun?!
Remember how many times we've thrown papers, plastic bags and metal cans everywhere except in the dustbin. Razz

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Sun 3 Feb 2008 - 17:27

True, i admit. But now it's different!
Chitra thanks for your support Smile

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Prithvi on Mon 4 Feb 2008 - 18:04

non li pa different!! To mem to pane dir ki dimune bzin change zot mentaliter afin de pouvoir respirer dan un monde sain!! Aprer to dir li pa different!!Lire bien ek kompren bien avan to repone dan la vie ein!! Aprer aret sa ban ordure seki varun ine dir toi la korek!!

Last edited by on Thu 14 Feb 2008 - 18:34; edited 1 time in total

Prithvi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavi on Mon 4 Feb 2008 - 19:36

Varun wrote:
Remember how many times we've thrown papers, plastic bags and metal cans everywhere except in the dustbin. Razz

He varun sory mo dir twa but to bzn inclu twa ousi ladan ein.
afro lol!

Kavi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 4 Feb 2008 - 21:35

Varun wrote:
I said we (Shanu and I), Kavi. Razz

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Sat 9 Feb 2008 - 14:26

Prithvi wrote:non li different!! To mem to pane dir ki dimune bzin change zot mentaliter afin de pouvoir respirer dan un monde sain!! Aprer to dir li pa different!!Lire bien ek kompren bien avan to repone dan la vie ein!! Aprer aret sa ban ordure seki varun ine dir toi la korek!!

Prithvi to kapav explik seki tone ecrire 1 kou, mo pane compren nanier.. Razz

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Prithvi on Thu 14 Feb 2008 - 18:38

Bon to mem tone truV la ki to pa lire ek essay kompren ek reponne!! Si to mem to pa change to mentaliter kuma dimune pu kapav vive dan ene le monde sain??Ek sa ban papier seki tne zeter avek varun la ki to pu dir pa p poluer environemen em sa!!Aprer to vine koz lor Global Warming!! tongue

Prithvi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Wed 20 Feb 2008 - 22:42

my dear Prithvi, eski ou pane lire ki mone marker aprer sa? ou bizin blinkers pou trouV ki?

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Prithvi on Sat 19 Apr 2008 - 16:07

Mone repone pu ene lot la ein to bien kner lequel!!

Prithvi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavi on Sun 20 Apr 2008 - 21:26

Kom touzour shanu and prithvi!! Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffff..... Sleep

Kavi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Sun 27 Apr 2008 - 13:20

pfffffffff, Prithvi pou ki zafer tone repon? mo pa koner.

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Prithvi on Wed 23 Jul 2008 - 16:04

Pu aprer seki chitra ek varun ine ekrire!

Prithvi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Mon 4 Aug 2008 - 17:40

Hey guys, do you have an idea which country releases most of the compounds of carbon in the world?

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 10 Aug 2008 - 9:14

Shanu I got it from the net that the two most polluting countries are:
1) China
2) US

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 11 Aug 2008 - 18:21

Yeah, China is leading the table and instead of seeing natural clouds in the sky you can see clouds of pollution above Beijing these days. I pity those olympic athletes.

Anyway, who can tell me the name of the place which has been the worst polluted to date?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 11 Aug 2008 - 19:58

I have also read that cyclists have to wear mask during the competition.

Worst polluted place? I dont know. Lol
I know only Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 11 Aug 2008 - 20:28

The world's worst polluted place is found in Ukraine and it's called Chernobyl. It was nuclear disaster which affected not only Ukraine, but almost the whole of Europe. The number of affected people has been estimated to be around 5.5 million.

www.BlacksmithInstitute.org wrote:The world's worst nuclear disaster took place on April 26, 1986 when testing in the Chernobyl power plant, 62 miles north of Kiev, triggered a fiery meltdown of the reactor's core. Thirty people were killed in the accident, 135,000 were evacuated, and one hundred times more radiation was released than by the atom bombs dropped over Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Twenty years later, the 19-mile exclusion zone around the plant remains uninhabitable.

Although an enormous amount of radiation was released during the disaster, most of the radioactivity has remained trapped within the plant itself. Some estimate that more than 100 tons of uranium and other radioactive products, such as plutonium, could be released if there is another accident. Chernobyl is also thought to contain some 2,000 tons of combustible materials. Leaks in the structure lead experts to fear that rainwater and fuel dust have formed a toxic liquid that may be contaminating the groundwater.

From 1992 to 2002 in Belarus, Russia and Ukraine more than 4000 cases of thyroid cancer were diagnosed among children and adolescents, those under 14 years were most severely affected. Most of these cases have been attributed to elevated concentrations of radioiodine found in milk. More than five million people currently inhabit the affected areas of Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine, which have all been classified as 'contaminated' with radionuclides credited to the Chernobyl accident (above 37 kBq m-2 of 137Cs). Skin lesions, respiratory ailments, infertility and birth defects were the norm for years following the accident.

A recent WHO report has indicated that the expected impact on future generations from radioactivity is now quite low. However, this report has been met with scepticism from some local and international experts.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 12 Aug 2008 - 20:05

Varun wrote:
www.BlacksmithInstitute.org wrote:The world's worst nuclear disaster took place on April 26, 1986 when testing in the Chernobyl power plant, 62 miles north of Kiev, triggered a fiery meltdown of the reactor's core. Thirty people were killed in the accident, 135,000 were evacuated, and one hundred times more radiation was released than by the atom bombs dropped over Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Twenty years later, the 19-mile exclusion zone around the plant remains uninhabitable.

Mo Mamio, kumsa?
x100 kout. cyclops

Pren konte ban zenn, nou lavenir ki concerné.
Protez nou l'environment.
En autre mots, fight against climate change.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Mon 18 Aug 2008 - 23:13

Zenes prend compte!!

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bhavna on Wed 20 Aug 2008 - 20:22

there are a lot of things going around to save the earth..zot ti conner ki zot bizin switch the tv off n not pu it on stand buy..switch pc off tou sa akoz li still emit noxious gases wen sa ban appareil la lor stand by..n if not in use then debranch li net depi dan couran..

Bhavna
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 20 Aug 2008 - 20:26

I wish someone could make my mum understand these things. What a Face

Goodluck to you, Sneha.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bhavna on Wed 20 Aug 2008 - 20:32

hey aret met pression lot sneha aster la em la ein..to mama sa..toi to koz ek li akoz kan sneha pu cozer lerla sneha ki pu pass pu mové!!! hey to bizin mmontre to mama couma servi computer..lerla kapav ouvert n topic title kyunki saas bhi kabhi bahu thi!!!

Bhavna
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Aug 2008 - 19:56

lol!
Servi computer? Wahahaha
Varun will this ever be possible?

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Thu 21 Aug 2008 - 20:51