The Wonder Kid's Corner

Hello,

You are currently viewing this forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to our topics.

By joining our community you will have the privilege to create your own topics, reply to others' messages, respond to polls and access many other special features.

Join our community instantly... Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free of spam!

Be sure to check out the frequently asked questions or contact the administrators regarding any issue.

Warm regards,

The Board Management Team

They Made It Better Silently

View previous topic View next topic Go down

20111120

Post 

They Made It Better Silently




Taking over from this topic, I have decided to bring forward my experience with the Logitech Z-5500 Digital.

I have owned three different Logitech Z-5500 Digital speaker systems since 2006. You must be wondering why have I used the word different. Well, Logitech has the habit of revising its products and you can distinguish them by their part numbers. Notable products which have been heavily revised are the Logitech MX 518 (optical gaming mouse) and the Logitech G15 (gaming keyboard with a GamePanel). Those two products differ both physically and electronically compared to their respective predecessors while the Logitech Z-5500 Digital's look has not changed since 2005 or 2006 but its part number has. Note that it first made its way on the retail shelves in 2004.

As we all know, this speaker system is the undisputed king of multimedia speakers to date and it has also knocked out lots of more costly home theatre in a box speaker systems. Although being a THX-certified speaker system, it WAS not perfect. Most critiques have talked about its lack of refinement in high frequencies (the absence of tweeters EXPLAINED this fact at that time) and about its struggle (to a certain extent) in the mid frequencies.

I have always connected my Logitech Z-5500 Digital speaker systems analogically to my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi eXtremeMusic sound card (the oldest component in TORNADOWARE ONE), I have always used the same equalizer curve, I have always placed them in a linear arrangement and I have always used the same listening position but the sound is no more the same. My last purchase of the Logitech Z-5500 Digital dates back to about one month ago and it bears the part number 970115-0914.

The two main flaws I have talked about were present in my first purchase though the sound quality was always good and distortionless. My last two purchases came with some improvements. The Tangband W3-593SF 3-inch full range drivers now produce high frequency sound as if tweeters have been included in the satellites and the mid frequencies also sound a tad better whilst the Tangband WT-644F 10-inch subwoofer driver produces tighter and lower bass. Overall, it looks like Logitech has reworked the amplifier and the internal circuitry while keeping the same drivers.

Now, whatever I listen to; the heavily amplified tones in Toni Braxton's Unbreak My Heart, the metal sound of Radiohead's Creep, the extreme levels of bass and treble in A. R. Rahman's Dil Se and Banno Rani or the churning tyres in The Fast and Furious series, the explosions and the noise of bullets whistling past your ears in Saving Private Ryan, or the sound of changing gears in a level 3 upgraded Porsche Cayman S in Need For Speed: Prostreet, this newly revised Logitech Z-5500 Digital sounds PERFECT and I'm so tempted to label it as an audiophile equipment.

Some of you might see this blog entry as a waste of time or as a pretentious piece of writing but to me, it means a lot. As I said it here, I consider myself fortunate to own the last of the titans and I hope one day my children will get to hear what used to rock daddy's world.

Varun
Founder
Founder


Back to top Go down

- Similar topics
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

They Made It Better Silently :: Comments

Post on Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 23:16 by Sneha

Varun wrote:As we all know, this speaker system is the undisputed king of multimedia speakers to date and it has also knocked out lots of more costly home theatre in a box speaker systems.
I didn't understand the excerpt I highlighted in bold. confused

Varun wrote:Although being a THX-certified speaker system, it WAS not perfect. Most critiques have talked about its lack of refinement in high frequencies (the absence of tweeters EXPLAINED this fact at that time) and about its struggle (to a certain extent) in the mid frequencies.

Varun wrote:The Tangband W3-593SF 3-inch full range drivers now produce high frequency sound as if tweeters have been included in the satellites and the mid frequencies also sound a tad better whilst the Tangband WT-644F 10-inch subwoofer driver produces tighter and lower bass.
Dude, if you're saying that the Logitech Z-5500 I listened to was next to being imperfect, then I can't stop thinking about how does it sound now? I'm so impatient to listen to the new version of the speaker system. Rolling Eyes

Varun wrote:Now, whatever I listen to; the heavily amplified tones in Toni Braxton's Unbreak My Heart, the metal sound of Radiohead's Creep, the extreme levels of bass and treble in A. R. Rahman's Dil Se and Banno Rani or the churning tyres in The Fast and Furious series, the explosions and the noise of bullets whistling past your ears in Saving Private Ryan, or the sound of changing gears in a level 3 upgraded Porsche Cayman S in Need For Speed: Prostreet, this newly revised Logitech Z-5500 Digital sounds PERFECT and I'm so tempted to label it as an audiophile equipment.
This is one of the most beautifully-written description I've ever read which compelled me to vision what I was reading. Nice one, sweetheart. Smile

Varun wrote:Some of you might see this blog entry as a waste of time or as a pretentious piece of writing but to me, it means a lot.

Not at all! I'm glad you shared your different experiences with the Logitech Z-5500 Digital and it's good to know how they differ from each other.

Varun wrote:As I said it here, I consider myself fortunate to own the last of the titans and I hope one day my children will get to hear what used to rock daddy's world.
Ohhh... So sweet! I hope this speaker remains until then... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Nov 2011 - 0:00 by Varun

Sneha wrote:
Varun wrote:As we all know, this speaker system is the undisputed king of multimedia speakers to date and it has also knocked out lots of more costly home theatre in a box speaker systems.
I didn't understand the excerpt I highlighted in bold. confused
Home cinemas can either be set up by purchasing individual components or a HTIB (Home Theater in a Box) which includes all of the pieces from a single manufacturer. The benefit of component purchasing is that one can attain improved quality in video or audio with proper knowledge and research. For instance, some speakers perform better in smaller rooms while others perform better in larger rooms and seating location must be considered. HTIB systems are a simpler and more cost-effective solution for most families.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_cinema

Sneha wrote:
Varun wrote:Although being a THX-certified speaker system, it WAS not perfect. Most critiques have talked about its lack of refinement in high frequencies (the absence of tweeters EXPLAINED this fact at that time) and about its struggle (to a certain extent) in the mid frequencies.

Varun wrote:The Tangband W3-593SF 3-inch full range drivers now produce high frequency sound as if tweeters have been included in the satellites and the mid frequencies also sound a tad better whilst the Tangband WT-644F 10-inch subwoofer driver produces tighter and lower bass.
Dude, if you're saying that the Logitech Z-5500 I listened to was next to being imperfect, then I can't stop thinking about how does it sound now? I'm so impatient to listen to the new version of the speaker system. Rolling Eyes
Anytime, baby! Smile

Sneha wrote:
Varun wrote:Now, whatever I listen to; the heavily amplified tones in Toni Braxton's Unbreak My Heart, the metal sound of Radiohead's Creep, the extreme levels of bass and treble in A. R. Rahman's Dil Se and Banno Rani or the churning tyres in The Fast and Furious series, the explosions and the noise of bullets whistling past your ears in Saving Private Ryan, or the sound of changing gears in a level 3 upgraded Porsche Cayman S in Need For Speed: Prostreet, this newly revised Logitech Z-5500 Digital sounds PERFECT and I'm so tempted to label it as an audiophile equipment.
This is one of the most beautifully-written description I've ever read which compelled me to vision what I was reading. Nice one, sweetheart. Smile
I thought the description was not informative enough. Smile

Sneha wrote:
Varun wrote:Some of you might see this blog entry as a waste of time or as a pretentious piece of writing but to me, it means a lot.

Not at all! I'm glad you shared your different experiences with the Logitech Z-5500 Digital and it's good to know how they differ from each other.
Thank you, sweetheart. I love you

Sneha wrote:
Varun wrote:As I said it here, I consider myself fortunate to own the last of the titans and I hope one day my children will get to hear what used to rock daddy's world.
Ohhh... So sweet! I hope this speaker remains until then... Wink
It will if you don't do what you're best at. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Nov 2011 - 0:23 by Sneha

Sneha wrote:
Varun wrote:As we all know, this speaker system is the undisputed king of multimedia speakers to date and it has also knocked out lots of more costly home theatre in a box speaker systems.
I didn't understand the excerpt I highlighted in bold. confused
Home cinemas can either be set up by purchasing individual components or a HTIB (Home Theater in a Box) which includes all of the pieces from a single manufacturer. The benefit of component purchasing is that one can attain improved quality in video or audio with proper knowledge and research. For instance, some speakers perform better in smaller rooms while others perform better in larger rooms and seating location must be considered. HTIB systems are a simpler and more cost-effective solution for most families.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_cinema
Okay, I understand it better now. Smile

Varun wrote:Anytime, baby! Smile
You know that doesn't depend on me, so I shall have to wait... Sad

Varun wrote:I thought the description was not informative enough. Smile
If that was not informative, then I wonder what it would had been in that case? Shocked

Varun wrote:Thank you, sweetheart. I love you
You don't have to. Instead, I should thank you for having spared your time and shared your view on this speaker system. Thanks to you! Razz

Varun wrote:It will if you don't do what you're best at. Twisted Evil
What do you mean by that? Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 19:57 by Varun

Sneha wrote:
Varun wrote:It will if you don't do what you're best at. Twisted Evil
What do you mean by that? Suspect
Well, you have a long history of breaking things. So... Razz

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 23:42 by Kavi

Simply Sublime. Varun, I envy those speakers, truely speaking.

What I've really appreciated is the Samsung Demo, ending in a spectacular THX presentation. I was like...!

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 4 Dec 2011 - 11:00 by Varun

You were like what? Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post Today at 5:50 by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum