The Wonder Kid's Corner

Hello,

You are currently viewing this forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to our topics.

By joining our community you will have the privilege to create your own topics, reply to others' messages, respond to polls and access many other special features.

Join our community instantly... Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free of spam!

Be sure to check out the frequently asked questions or contact the administrators regarding any issue.

Warm regards,

The Board Management Team

Battenburg Markings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Battenburg Markings

Post by Varun on Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 22:11

This seems to be a mandatory thing for many types of vehicles on our roads now. Exception is only for passenger cars and buses in my opinion. What are your views on this matter?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Re: Battenburg Markings

Post by Sneha on Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 22:15

Why was this thing implemented?

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 23:02

I do not have single idea. confused

Many countries primarily use it on vehicles of the emergency services but here we are seeing it on almost any kind of vehicle.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 14:12

It is supposed to be hatches on a reflective surface and aids in making the vehicle more visible at night.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 20:27

I know but why has it been made mandatory for so many types of vehicles on our roads?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 22:04

As simpleguy said, for better visibility at night. Therefore they lessen risks of accidents.

Last edited by Sneha on Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 22:58; edited 1 time in total

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 22:42

In my view, the vehicle manufacturers' implementation of the standard head lamps, tail lamps, brake lamps, front and rear fog lamps are enough for good visibility.

Those Battenburg markings I showed in the pictures above are ordinary paint applied on iron rods soldered to the side and rear skirts of the vehicles and I'm not sure they are really reflective.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Wed 16 Nov 2011 - 22:55

Varun wrote:In my view, the vehicle manufacturers' implementation of the standard head lamps, tail lamps, brake lamps, front and rear fog lamps are enough for good visibility.
What about a car or a motorcycle coming from the left/right side in the dark?

Let me give you an example... Almost all trucks I have seen on the left/right side are painted black or some dark kind of colour. A partially-sighted person might not see the truck if the person is coming on any side of the truck and then banggg... Accident!

Varun wrote:Those Battenburg markings I showed in the pictures above are ordinary paint applied on iron rods soldered to the side and rear skirts of the vehicles and I'm not sure they are really reflective.
I agree with what you said, Varun. It won't be of any use if it's ordinary paint. Rolling Eyes

However, my father has a Mitsubishi Strada which is a 4 x 4 and he was obliged to put the battenburg marking at the rear of the vehicle a while ago. This one does reflect at night. Wink

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 13:39

Sneha wrote:
Varun wrote:In my view, the vehicle manufacturers' implementation of the standard head lamps, tail lamps, brake lamps, front and rear fog lamps are enough for good visibility.
What about a car or a motorcycle coming from the left/right side in the dark?

Let me give you an example... Almost all trucks I have seen on the left/right side are painted black or some dark kind of colour. A partially-sighted person might not see the truck if the person is coming on any side of the truck and then banggg... Accident!
Any vehicle moving on the road at night should have its head and tail lamps switched on. On any road in the world, you can only move in the following two directions:

Also, if a person is venturing at night, he/she has the responsibility of making himself/herself visible by wearing appropriate coloured clothes and by using a torch.

So, how do the Battenburg markings help you on the road?

Sneha wrote:
Varun wrote:Those Battenburg markings I showed in the pictures above are ordinary paint applied on iron rods soldered to the side and rear skirts of the vehicles and I'm not sure they are really reflective.
I agree with what you said, Varun. It won't be of any use if it's ordinary paint. Rolling Eyes

However, my father has a Mitsubishi Strada which is a 4 x 4 and he was obliged to put the battenburg marking at the rear of the vehicle a while ago. This one does reflect at night. Wink
The tail lights of any vehicle are already reflective at night when not switched on.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Naz on Mon 21 Nov 2011 - 0:26

its simply to make the car more ugly xD pirat

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Naz

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 22:45

In my view, this implementation can cause more harm than good. First, it increases the weight of the vehicle. Second, it hinders access to the spare tyre, to the fuel tank or to other important things in some vehicles. Third, it can cause more damage in an accident. Fourth, it's a waste of money.

Now, let's analyse another situation. Take the example of the second picture I uploaded above. It features two medium-sized lorries with those Battenburg markings. Buses are bigger than them. Yet, buses do not feature the Battenburg markings. Why is it so?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:53

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top