The Wonder Kid's Corner

Hello,

You are currently viewing this forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to our topics.

By joining our community you will have the privilege to create your own topics, reply to others' messages, respond to polls and access many other special features.

Join our community instantly... Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free of spam!

Be sure to check out the frequently asked questions or contact the administrators regarding any issue.

Warm regards,

The Board Management Team

My.T Internet Connection

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My.T Internet Connection

Post by luvish on Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 17:49

Hi guys, Today I have a question for you all My.T users.
Do you think that MyT give us the bandwidth that he promises or are you satisfied with your internet connection?

I don't know for you but I have experience trouble many times with my connection. Specially when downloading or playing online multi-player games. And sometimes my connection just goes down.

So if anyone of you facing the same trouble please comment.

luvish
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Re: My.T Internet Connection

Post by vinesh on Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 18:59

In my case I got no problem at all. If you have any problem please discuss it with us. So that we can help you.

As for the bandwidth, I get what am supposed to get. In my case I have the 1Mbps package and I get 128kb/s when I download which is the maximum I should get.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

vinesh

Back to top Go down

Post by luvish on Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 20:12

vinesh wrote:In my case I got no problem at all. If you have any problem please discuss it with us. So that we can help you.

As for the bandwidth, I get what am supposed to get. In my case I have the 1Mbps package and I get 128kb/s when I download which is the maximum I should get.

I get upto 60kb/s for download and sometimes I get 30 to 40kb/s.

luvish
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by vinesh on Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 20:47

what package you have? As if you have 512kbit/s then max you will get is only 64kb/s!
Also can i know from where you are downloading??

_________________________________________________________________________________________

vinesh

Back to top Go down

Post by luvish on Sat 10 Sep 2011 - 14:58

vinesh wrote:what package you have? As if you have 512kbit/s then max you will get is only 64kb/s!
Also can i know from where you are downloading??

I have 1MB connection. And I download from torrent.

luvish
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by vinesh on Sat 10 Sep 2011 - 17:39

Haha torrent only depends on the amount of seeds present on it. I cant really help you on this case. As i personally think torrent is the worst way to download stuffs. Maybe the others can give you some tips to improve your downloads on torrents.

vinesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 20:09

luvish wrote:I have 1MB connection. And I download from torrent.
No ISP provide a speed of 1 MB/s in Mauritius to date. I assume you meant 1 Mbit/s (aka Mb/s or Mbps).

Normally, your download speed will primarily depend on the server from which you're downloading. If ever your bandwidth is higher that what the server can provide you, then you definitely won't be able to saturate your download speed. You should also check whether there are other things like Windows Update, anti-virus program or other software that are consuming your bandwidth.

On a personal note, I am subscribed to a 2 Mbps My.T internet connection and I am able to saturate my bandwidth on a 24/7 basis at 256 kB/s (even with uTorrent, my BitTorrent client).

vinesh wrote:Haha torrent only depends on the amount of seeds present on it. I cant really help you on this case. As i personally think torrent is the worst way to download stuffs. Maybe the others can give you some tips to improve your downloads on torrents.
If you want to discuss about BitTorrent, do it over there. Wink

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by vinesh on Mon 12 Sep 2011 - 22:32

Background programs usually eat some bandwidth so check them out!

For online gaming its obvious you will will get problem. Because our country is far from the other countries , we have a very high latency so makes every online games lag badly. This lag can be reduced by having higher net speed but in your case you have a pretty low speed.

If you are playing against people in mauritius then you will have no problem at all!

vinesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 16 Nov 2011 - 21:33

I've been downloading at a speed of 4 Mbps lately. However, I'm subscribed to a 2 Mbps My.T internet connection. Has our My.T bandwidth doubled and is it official?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 11:01

Would you say that the exceptional service you recently got from MyT has anything to do with the fact that the Competition Commission of Mauritius is currently investigating Mauritius Telecom for its MyT service and the CCM has asked the public to come forward and provide information.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 13:46

I didn't follow the news lately because I was really busy with my work. Do you have any link talking about the thing you mentioned, simpleguy?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Mon 21 Nov 2011 - 1:13

http://www.gov.mu/portal/sites/ccm/Current_Investigations.htm

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gael on Mon 21 Nov 2011 - 19:56

I pay for 1MB connection and i get this: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1604516625.png

Gael
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 10:28

I am not surprised smKd. You are testing your speed using Speedtest.net's Telecom Plus server. In other words, you are testing your ADSL speed from Mauritius Telecom to you.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 22:56

simpleguy wrote:http://www.gov.mu/portal/sites/ccm/Current_Investigations.htm
It'll be interesting to follow this matter.

smKd wrote:I pay for 1MB connection and i get this: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1604516625.png
It's a 1 Mbps internet connection speed, not a 1 MB one.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by vinesh on Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 23:44

smKd wrote:I pay for 1MB connection and i get this: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1604516625.png

For your information you have tested on a mauritian server and therefore you are getting local speed results which is 2mb/s for most people and in some region like mine its 4mb/s.
If you want your real speed test on an international server!!

vinesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Thu 24 Nov 2011 - 20:38

vinesh wrote:

For your information you have tested on a mauritian server and therefore you are getting local speed results which is 2mb/s for most people and in some region like mine its 4mb/s.
If you want your real speed test on an international server!!
From what I know personally, you both live in the same town and possibly not too far apart.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by vinesh on Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 21:51

The thing now is that they have downgraded the line again. I am now getting 2mb/s. Damm Orange!!

vinesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 21:58

Damn it! My download speed too has reverted back to a maximum of 256 kbps. Sad

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 22:54

Sa mem mo internet lanttttttttt comparé ŕ avan... Evil or Very Mad

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Mon 28 Nov 2011 - 0:12

I have a friend who works in Networks at MT. A few months ago, I asked him why I am paying MUR 1300 for Orange ADSL 1 Mbps when I could pay an extra 1,700 and get 4 Mbps with MyT or an extra MUR 400 and get MyT 2 Mbps.

He said I am more likely to keep reaching my 1 Mbps on Orange ADSL than on MyT. Something I confirmed in the past months from my traffic graphs on my firewall. I get a solid 90-100 KBps download speed from my Orange 1 Mbps ADSL. He also said that MyT speed has been reported to degrade as the volume you download exceed certain thresholds.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 28 Nov 2011 - 20:54

Today, it was announced on TV that Mauritius Telecom will bring price cuts in all their existing internet connection packages as from the 1st of December 2011.

simpleguy wrote:I have a friend who works in Networks at MT. A few months ago, I asked him why I am paying MUR 1300 for Orange ADSL 1 Mbps when I could pay an extra 1,700 and get 4 Mbps with MyT or an extra MUR 400 and get MyT 2 Mbps.

He said I am more likely to keep reaching my 1 Mbps on Orange ADSL than on MyT. Something I confirmed in the past months from my traffic graphs on my firewall. I get a solid 90-100 KBps download speed from my Orange 1 Mbps ADSL. He also said that MyT speed has been reported to degrade as the volume you download exceed certain thresholds.
Well, I've almost never had to complaint about my My.T internet connection speed. Lately, I have been downloading about 600 GB of everything monthly at a constant speed of 2 Mbps. Now, my only concern is that I have only 30 GB of storage capacity left out of my available 4.5 TB.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Mon 28 Nov 2011 - 22:35

How much of the 4TB you downloaded were videos and did how much of those did you actually have time to watch?

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by vinesh on Tue 29 Nov 2011 - 21:11

Yeah makes me wonder if he has time to watch what he download.

vinesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 30 Nov 2011 - 20:08

There must be approximately 3.5 TB of videos on my HDDs but my time is very limited and I haven't even watched 5% of my entire collection to date. However, I'm only 28 years old now and I have all my life to watch them.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Thu 1 Dec 2011 - 14:14

Sure, keep thinking that. Eventually you'll get married and you'll have even less time. Say bye bye to the little time left when you become a father. Hope you have a reliable storage because retirement is when you'll watch those movies. Smile

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 19:25

The purpose of dowloading all those movies was primarily to have all the movies of my choice at hand so that whenever I get some free time or the feeling of watching a movie arises, I will choose one of them and watch it. That's why I said I have all my life to watch them.

Wink

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavi on Sat 3 Dec 2011 - 23:39

One thing I always say, MyT sucks for online gaming. We online gamers have suffered loads from the shitty upload and download speed that MyT provides. We've also noticed some peak hours where myT becomes really annoying (latency > 500).

P.S Im talking about playing on local servers, not those abroad.

Kavi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 5 Dec 2011 - 23:31

My personal experience with My.T internet connection has been quite good so far, be it for gaming, downloading or even uploading. Kavi, as I said before, installed software on your computers might be the cause of your slow ping and speeds.

Troubleshooting these kind of problems can be a bit daunting. Why not opt for something like AVG PC TuneUp? It will optimize your computer for gaming or for other desired tasks. Till the end of December it is available for free with the following products: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=307453362607963&set=a.224800290873271.61991.219171704769463&type=1

Note that it is also available separately at TORNADOWARE. Take an overview of the product here: http://www.avg.com/ww-en/avg-pctuneup

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavi on Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 20:54

I think this high ping issue has nothing to do with my computer as it doesn't happen only to me but to the whole CS community.

huh, mo labouss mofine mo kwar -.-'
Everything was fine (meaning ping issues, donwload and upload speed) for this pass 4-5 weeks until I raised this argument (here) as I once again facing PING PROBLEMS :@ :@

WTF?

Kavi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by vinesh on Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 21:16

With an upload speed of 30KB/s you guys host a map with over 8 players in it and you still think it wont lag??

vinesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 21:20

Kavi wrote:I think this high ping issue has nothing to do with my computer...
This is what I call an unsustainable judgement.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavi on Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 23:25

vinesh wrote:With an upload speed of 30KB/s you guys host a map with over 8 players in it and you still think it wont lag??

You went completely wrong dude. Everyday, everyhour (except during MyT's peak hours -.-'), there are persons hosting servers with minimum 8 players where lag can be considered to be negligible. The server only starts lagging when the host's PC is unable to cope with the no. of clients connecting to its server, when someone tries to crash that server or when the host jumps off the Counter-Strike game to his desktop. Else, everything goes fine. But this is can only occur when MyT provides good services.

What I'm saying is that there are 'peak hours' (normal from 7.30-22.00) during which most clients join SOME servers with high pings (ALL clients). I hope you've understood what I'm trying to convey :/

Kavi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sat 10 Dec 2011 - 20:13

May be the following URL could be of some help for some of you: http://www.mauritiustelecom.com/myt/index.php?page_id=78#surf

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Sat 10 Dec 2011 - 23:02

47. Can I record a film from My.T Watch?
No, anti-piracy regulations prohibit the recording of copyright content and MT has implemented necessary protections in the My.T network to prevent recording.

Oh really?

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavi on Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 22:06

simpleguy wrote:47. Can I record a film from My.T Watch?
No, anti-piracy regulations prohibit the recording of copyright content and MT has implemented necessary protections in the My.T network to prevent recording.

Oh really?

HAHA, well said simpleguy xD

Kavi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 22:13

simpleguy wrote:47. Can I record a film from My.T Watch?

Oh really?
I thought this topic was only about My.T Surf (My.T Internet Connection). If you want to discuss about all the services of My.T, I think it'll be better to rename the topic title accordingly. What are your views?

Kavi wrote:HAHA, well said simpleguy xD
I wonder how does this kind of statement helps a topic being discussed. Suspect

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 22:45

Not much to discuss. The general rule goes thus:

"If it can be displayed and seen, it can be copied."

We have observed this since about a decade now with countless copy prevention mechanisms. Anyone who thinks they can display something over a network and prevent its copying is deluded at best.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavi on Tue 13 Dec 2011 - 21:49

This shows an approval Varun.

Kavi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down