The Wonder Kid's Corner

Hello,

You are currently viewing this forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to our topics.

By joining our community you will have the privilege to create your own topics, reply to others' messages, respond to polls and access many other special features.

Join our community instantly... Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free of spam!

Be sure to check out the frequently asked questions or contact the administrators regarding any issue.

Warm regards,

The Board Management Team

Logitech Z-5500 Digital vs. Logitech Z906

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Logitech Z-5500 Digital vs. Logitech Z906

Post by Jeet on Sun 26 Jun 2011 - 14:48

'especially addressed to varun', can you elaborate on the comparisons between these two and which one do you think is best?

Logitech Z-5500 Digital

Logitech Z906

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Re: Logitech Z-5500 Digital vs. Logitech Z906

Post by Varun on Sun 26 Jun 2011 - 23:01

Upon hearing about the upcoming Logitech Z906 some weeks ago, I had put my Logitech Z-5500 Digital on sale. I had assumed that the successor of the Logitech Z-5500 Digital was finally here and it would come as a revised and better product. I was overwhelmed... The Logitech Z-5500 Digital was already the undisputed king of multimedia speaker systems after all.

As days passed by, I gathered information about the new sound system to only get disappointed. The Logitech Z906 comes with 30% less weight and volume (dimension). So, how come less weight equate to better or same sound quality? Less wood, more plastics and cheaper materials!

I expected the successor to at least boast with a class AB amplifier, a 12-inch subwoofer, which would go down to 20 Hz and a tweeter + a midrange driver in the satellites along with an HDMI port among the already existing inputs. Also, I wanted to see DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD decoders onboard but alas!

Finally, I had to remove that sale banner and console myself in acknowledging that I own the last of the titans.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Mon 27 Jun 2011 - 20:48

man, a big thanks to you, i was thinking to opt for Z906 later on, i guess i did the right thing to ask you! Very Happy
actually there were some articles in which it was being said that, Z906 is better than Z5500 digital!!

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 27 Jun 2011 - 21:05

Jeet wrote:man, a big thanks to you, i was thinking to opt for Z906 later on, i guess i did the right thing to ask you! Very Happy
I hope you know what's the price tag of such a sound system. Wink

Jeet wrote:actually there were some articles in which it was being said that, Z906 is better than Z5500 digital!!
Bring those points forward and we'll see.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Sun 10 Jul 2011 - 15:18

Varun, i still do not agree with the weight factor. You just can't assume that when the Z-5500 is heavier than the Z906, it implies that the Z-5500 is better. I'm pretty much sure that there were many Weight Control Engineers who worked on the system while trying to put on market the successor of Z-5500. It can also be the successor of Z-5500 despite of its lighter weight. I will prolly agree with you upon the sound quality thing but not the weight factor.

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 10 Jul 2011 - 21:21

Weight control engineers mostly use their expertise in fields like automobile, aeronautics, etc. In electronics and most importantly in audio appliances their roles are almost negligible. That's because weight has a very important impact in sound quality. The heavier, the better! How? Allow me to put my two cents forward...

Distortion Reduction

Speakers are prone to heavy distortion, especially in the difficult bass frequencies. Woofers used to reproduce bass are often called upon to move long distances back and forth while pushing large volumes of air. The woofers themselves are also generally quite large possessing a large mass compared to the air that must be moved. These features add up to make it difficult for low frequency drivers to produce accurate, distortion-free sound.

One common method for reducing distortion by controlling more tightly the movement of the speaker drivers and the woofers in particular is to use large magnets and large amplifiers. Subwoofers used to reproduce low bass exclusively often feature built-in amplifiers rated at hundreds of watts. Additionally, these speakers use increasingly large magnet structures as the size of the drivers increases. The larger magnets generate more powerful magnetic fields that in turn are better able to control the movement of the voice coil as current passes through it. However, these methods are not always enough and some subwoofers suffer from distortion of 10 percent or higher.

Good quality speaker cabinets should be highly inert and free of resonance. They should be solid to the touch and sound solid when tapped with the knuckles. Speaker drivers and other sound producing elements must move in order to generate sound waves in the air. This movement tends to create movement of the speaker enclosure and particularly of the baffle, the surface on which the drivers in a dynamic speaker are mounted. When speaker enclosures vibrate or move with the motion of the sound producing elements, the sound is distorted and colored. The enclosures ideally would have no motion or vibration at all. In the attempt to achieve this, speaker enclosures are constructed of dense, heavy materials. Additionally, many enclosures are internally braced meaning that beams and panels are inserted and attached to the internal enclosure walls to further shore them up and reduce vibrations. Some enclosures are also filled with a fiber damping material similar to insulation that absorbs sound waves inside the speaker cabinet. Other enclosures reinforce their baffles with (or construct them out of) concrete, extra-thick MDF, corian or other materials. The end result is a speaker enclosure that is both solid and heavy. Enclosures that are not solid and well braced will vibrate with the sound generated by the speakers and color or distort the sound. Thus, well-built speaker enclosures are critically important to the performance of a high-fidelity speaker system and the Logitech Z-5500 Digital gets one plus point here.

Enclosures

Sealed (acoustic suspension) enclosures as in the case of the Logitech Z906 satellites are the least efficient form of enclosure but they are the easiest to make and provide the tightest, deepest low frequency sound. As a speaker driver moves in and out, it generates motion in the air around it. These enclosures require more power to move drivers though since the drivers are constantly being pushed back to their resting position by the air pressure inside and outside the enclosure.

Bass reflex (ported) enclosures as in the case of the Logitech Z-5500 Digital satellites are some of the most frequently used in conjunction with low frequency drivers (along with sealed enclosures). Unlike acoustic suspension designs, which do not allow air to move from inside the enclosure to the outside and vice versa, bass reflex enclosures move air into and out of the enclosure through a round tube and hole. The tube, called a port, allows air to move between the interior and exterior of the enclosure. Air moves through the tube from one end open inside the enclosure to the other end open to the exterior through a hole in one of the enclosure's panels or sides.

When speaker drivers move forward and backward, sound waves are generated from the forward facing side of the driver (the portion of the diaphragm facing out towards the room away from the enclosure). These sound waves move directly out into the room where listeners can hear them. However, the backside of a driver's diaphragm also generates sound waves. As a speaker driver moves back toward the enclosure, the rear of the diaphragm generates sound waves that travel into the enclosure. In a sealed enclosure, these sound waves generated by the rear of the diaphragm are not used. However, a ported enclosure allows a portion of this sound energy to travel through a port and exit the enclosure thereby reinforcing the output from the front of the driver.

Bass reflex enclosures increase the bass output of a speaker by around 3 dB compared to a sealed enclosure. This increase in speaker efficiency is a boon to speaker design. To provide a 3 dB output boost through amplification requires that the power applied to the speaker be doubled. For a sealed enclosure speaker to generate the same output as a ported enclosure design, the amplification would need to double. If a bass reflex enclosure speaker were powered with a 100-watt amplifier, a sealed enclosure speaker would require a 200-watt amplifier to produce the same output. Thus, bass reflex enclosures enjoy a distinct efficiency advantage over their sealed cousins and the Logitech Z-5500 Digital earns another plus point.

Sensitivity

Measured in decibels, sensitivity (efficiency) represents how well a speaker turns input power into output sound wave energy. Higher sensitivity ratings require less amplifier power to produce undistorted, high-volume sound waves. Each 3 dB change in speaker sensitivity is the equivalent of a doubling or halving of amplifier power. Thus, while a speaker with a 92 dB sensitivity rating might require 100 watts to produce a certain sound level, a speaker with an 89 dB sensitivity rating would require 200 watts to produce the same sound level.

Most speakers feature sensitivity ratings ranging from 88 to 92 decibels or so. Figures above that are highly efficient while those below are inefficient. Inefficient speakers must be used with larger, more powerful amplifiers in order to achieve satisfying listening levels without distortion while highly efficient speakers may be used with low-power amplifiers such as many vacuum tube amplifier designs. Sensitivity does not make a speaker better or worse than another speaker, but it does have a bearing on how much amplification should be used with the speaker.

The Logitech Z-5500 Digital has a 505-watt RMS class D amplifier and the Logitech Z906 has a 500-watt RMS class D amplifier, i.e., they both have almost the same amplification power. As for the drivers, the Logitech Z-5500 Digital comes with Tangband W3-593SF 3-inch full range drivers for the satellites and a Tangband WT-644F 10-inch driver for the subwoofer while the Logitech Z906 comes with the same full range drivers but with a different subwoofer, the Tangband W8-670Q, measuring 8 inches in diameter. From those specifications, we can see that the subwoofer of the Logitech Z-5500 Digital is superior compared to that of the Logitech Z906 in terms of sensitivity, frequency response, power input, magnet weight and more importantly moving mass.

Also, the Logitech Z-5500 Digital boasts with a sound pressure level of a tad higher than 115 dB while the Logitech Z906 has a sound pressure level of 110 dB, which means that the former can be played at a volume that is almost 3-4 times higher than what the latter can deliver. Finally, the Logitech Z-5500 Digital earns one more plus point against its so-called successor, the Logitech Z906.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Sun 10 Jul 2011 - 22:02

The question remains; how come the reviews over the internet claim that Logitech Z906 is better than Logitech Z-5500 Digital?

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 10 Jul 2011 - 22:03

Give me some examples... Basketball

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Sun 10 Jul 2011 - 22:20

Have a look at the following URLs:

• http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/logitech_z906_51_speaker_system_review
  • http://www.trustedreviews.com/logitech-z906_Surround-Sound-System_review
  • http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Logitech-Z906-Speaker-System-Review/

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Tue 12 Jul 2011 - 19:11

The reviews you're referring to seems to be very biased, sweetheart. There's no direct comparison of the Logitech Z906 to the Logitech Z-5500 Digital. The pictures of all those three reviews are the same; no realistic images are shown. I'm very tempted to say that Logitech have compiled those images and send them to those reviewers. Also, there's no mention about what audio receiver, dedicated sound card and/or integrated sound codec have been used in the reviews to test the Logitech Z906. With so many shortcomings in those reviews, I'm not the one who is going to digest them.

Now, have a look at the following review:
http://soundnews.ro/2011/05/29/logitech-z906-review-english-version/

Sound News seems to have well reviewed the Logitech Z906 and put it in direct comparison with the Logitech Z-5500 Digital. They have also shown realistic images, in-depth knowledge of audio and also, talked about their audio receiver and dedicated sound card used in the process. Their conclusion clearly showed that the Logitech Z-5500 Digital is superior to its so-called successor, the Logitech Z906.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanu on Thu 14 Jul 2011 - 18:36

Okay, you have been able to convince me about the weight factor. I have been doing some research concerning the weight factor and i also agree with you Varun, the heavier the better! This catch phrase applies well to audio appliances. Nice arguments brought foward by you, Varun. Smile

Shanu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 21:19

Varun wrote:The reviews you're referring to seems to be very biased, sweetheart. There's no direct comparison of the Logitech Z906 to the Logitech Z-5500 Digital. The pictures of all those three reviews are the same; no realistic images are shown. I'm very tempted to say that Logitech have compiled those images and send them to those reviewers. Also, there's no mention about what audio receiver, dedicated sound card and/or integrated sound codec have been used in the reviews to test the Logitech Z906. With so many shortcomings in those reviews, I'm not the one who is going to digest them.

Now, have a look at the following review:
http://soundnews.ro/2011/05/29/logitech-z906-review-english-version/

Sound News seems to have well reviewed the Logitech Z906 and put it in direct comparison with the Logitech Z-5500 Digital. They have also shown realistic images, in-depth knowledge of audio and also, talked about their audio receiver and dedicated sound card used in the process. Their conclusion clearly showed that the Logitech Z-5500 Digital is superior to its so-called successor, the Logitech Z906.
After reading the long paragraphs you posted above, I have been convinced too that the old Logitech Z-5500 Digital is superior compared to the new Logitech Z906. However, I can't understand why the reviews I listed above stated the contrary.

Anyway, I can now proudly say that my boyfriend owns the king of multimedia 5.1 speaker systems, the THX-certified Logitech Z-5500 Digital. queen

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavi on Fri 29 Jul 2011 - 22:37

Get sa banla 1 ku =p

Jeet in aret repon :/

Kavi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Kain309 on Mon 1 Aug 2011 - 12:14

Nice! Now i understand clearly why Varun was sooo persusive about the Z-5500.
Damn that review: http://soundnews.ro/2011/05/29/logitech-z906-review-english-version/
KIlled the Z906

lol!

Kain309
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 7 Aug 2011 - 15:52

This is why I always tell people not to concentrate too much on reviews. They can be biased or not informative enough.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top