The Wonder Kid's Corner

Hello,

You are currently viewing this forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to our topics.

By joining our community you will have the privilege to create your own topics, reply to others' messages, respond to polls and access many other special features.

Join our community instantly... Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free of spam!

Be sure to check out the frequently asked questions or contact the administrators regarding any issue.

Warm regards,

The Board Management Team

The God Delusion

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you qualify yourself?

0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
50% 50% 
[ 6 ]
25% 25% 
[ 3 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
17% 17% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 12

The God Delusion

Post by Varun on Sun 6 Jan 2008 - 10:30

First topic message reminder :

When I was a little kid mom used to tell me: "It's already 18:00, go and do your prayer. You need to pray to get peace and prosperity in your life..."

However, while picking up my days I started having a different approach at this thing which is called religion. What is the meaning of religion? Does God exist? 24 years of age right now and I've been an atheist for more than half of my life. The God Delusion is a book by British biologist Richard Dawkins, holder of the Charles Simonyi Chair for the Public Understanding of Science at the University of Oxford.

In his book, Dawkins contends that a supernatural creator almost certainly does not exist and that belief in God qualifies as a delusion, which he defines as a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence. He is sympathetic to Robert Pirsig's observation that when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity and when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

I should admit that I have not got the opportunity to go through his book but I've been really inspired by his beliefs and ideas when I watched him on BBC World some days ago. I come from a religious family as are an estimated 86% of the world's population. So, in this regard I belong to the minority group referred as non-religious. Still, I am firm on my beliefs and I would like to hear about your perceptions and beliefs in God and religion.

Last edited by Varun on Mon 4 Jan 2010 - 19:45; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Re: The God Delusion

Post by Varun on Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 20:46

Haven't you learnt about capillary action yet, Jeet? Suspect

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 13:41

hmmmm don't know, i never followed biology class!! Razz
form 1 to 3, one just had to learn by heart also i don't like biology! What a Face

can you explain it to me varun?? Question

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 14:41

You didn't like biology or the one teaching Biology, Jeet? What a Face

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 18:22

both sneha, that's why i didn't opt for biology as a subject since form 4!!! tongue

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 19:04

Jeet wrote:hmmmm don't know, i never followed biology class!! Razz
form 1 to 3, one just had to learn by heart also i don't like biology! What a Face

can you explain it to me varun?? Question
Read this bit.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 19:10

mone compren imP imP mais pas tro!! silent

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 19:18

Either way, I hope you now know it that it wasn't a miracle for those god statues to drink milk.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 19:25

well then prithvi must read it bcoz he told me that he had witnessed it, he and nani!!!!

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 19:11

Either way, what do you consider yourself to be now?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 19:44

i don't really know but my being an agnostic theist stands !!!! will be able to think more about it during holidays! Wink

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 13 Oct 2010 - 20:01

That's weird! Rolling Eyes

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 17:32

laisse conger la vini lerla pu clear tou seki bizin clear!!! Wink

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Phenom on Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 19:48

me too am an agnostic theist, the reason is that sometimes i believe that there is someone and sometimes there isn't anyone!!!

Phenom
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 19:52

Do you feel at ease with your belief(s), Phenom? confused

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 2:10

Hi. I am back.

I feel the poll options are erroneous. The options should really have been

1. Ignostic
2. Agnostic Atheist
3. Gnostic Atheist
4. Agnostic Theist
5. Gnostic Atheist

My position was formerly Agnostic Theist and has recently been changed to Agnostic Atheist.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 11:34

Is there any particular reason for the change in your belief, Simpleguy? Suspect

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 19:11

Yes the confirmation was after I witnessed the violent death of a devoted gnostic theist whose god abandoned him at a time of need.

I was reminded of the famous saying about the set of footprints in the sand. Well.. the truth is that when you saw only one set of footprint, is when your god abandoned you.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 22:17

simpleguy wrote:Hi. I am back.

I feel the poll options are erroneous. The options should really have been

1. Ignostic
2. Agnostic Atheist
3. Gnostic Atheist
4. Agnostic Theist
5. Gnostic Atheist
Please, elaborate on this thought of yours but first, was the fifth option a typo?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 22:55

The fifth option was a typo. It was meant to read Gnostic Theist.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 23:04

Okay but you didn't explain your opinion and I'm waiting for that.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Wed 20 Oct 2010 - 1:30

Too long to explain. Basically, I refuse to believe in a god who is supposed to be omnipotent and "saves" his believers and followers but yet his most devoted followers suffer a horrible life/death.

I also don't believe we can know if there is a god or not. To put things in perspective we have not even understood beyond a tiny fragment of our galaxy and yet some claim to know about the existence of a body out there that created and controls the trillions of planets/stars/galaxies out there.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Wed 20 Oct 2010 - 9:06

yo guys, just read this: http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/10/19/5316116-google-maps-got-god.
read it and let me know what you think about it!! Wink

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 24 Oct 2010 - 10:19

simpleguy wrote:Too long to explain. Basically, I refuse to believe in a god who is supposed to be omnipotent and "saves" his believers and followers but yet his most devoted followers suffer a horrible life/death.

I also don't believe we can know if there is a god or not. To put things in perspective we have not even understood beyond a tiny fragment of our galaxy and yet some claim to know about the existence of a body out there that created and controls the trillions of planets/stars/galaxies out there.
Well, I qualify myself as an atheist and on the other hand, I know people who claim to have communicated with God. So, I don't really think we should only talk about ignosticism, agnosticism and gnosticism. What I feel would have been better is to add gnosticism as another option in the poll.

Jeet wrote:yo guys, just read this: http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/10/19/5316116-google-maps-got-god.
read it and let me know what you think about it!! Wink

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Sun 24 Oct 2010 - 11:09

bizin so tail fictif mem sa Razz
nek ti pi envi kon zot reaction on that article!

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sat 30 Oct 2010 - 15:22

Friends, what are your views on gnosticism?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Sat 30 Oct 2010 - 21:03

I prefer the new defintions

Theist/Atheist being "The belief in a God or not"

Gnostic/Agnostic being "Having knowledge that the belief is true"

Gnostic Theist - Believing in a God and claiming the existence of a God is true.
Gnostic Atheist - Does not believe in a God and claims there is no God
Agnostic Theist - Believes in a God but does not claim such existence can be shown.
Agnostic Atheist - Does not believe in a God and claims we can't know if there is a God.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 31 Oct 2010 - 19:26

What do you mean by "new definitions"? confused

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prithvi on Sun 31 Oct 2010 - 21:52

Sa bez sa!
Hey Jeet xplik bien kan to poster ene comment! Evil or Very Mad

Prithvi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Sun 31 Oct 2010 - 21:55

zis toi ki pan compren la, y??

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Prithvi on Sun 31 Oct 2010 - 23:05

Pa zis moi mai Varun osi pne kompren! Razz

Prithvi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Mon 1 Nov 2010 - 16:21

ein??? ki to pi kozer, quote montrer!!!

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sat 27 Nov 2010 - 21:32

Jeet and Prithvi, if you don't have constructive arguments to bring forward then you better refrain yourselves from posting anything.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nusha on Sun 28 Nov 2010 - 14:34

Longtemps mo pa ti p tro kasse tete ek sa bn zafer la priere la. Kouma arrive 6 heures mo mama ti p dire moi ale fer la priere et vite vite mo allume la lampe et chandal san fer aucun la priere. Very Happy

Laner dernier lepok exams, mo ti p travail 1 past papers. Ti arrive vers 2 heures du matin. 1 koup mn senti kitchoz kin passe derrier moi. Mo konner ki li ti 1 illusion. Mais mo ti gagne xtra per...Mn commence fer bn la priere ki mo konner.

Passe imper zours, mo commence fer cauchmars 1 tas fois. Then 1 kamarade in dire moi fer Hanuman Chalisa et lin montrer moi 1 la priere Lord Shiva. Kan mo fer sa vraimem mo pa gagne peur. Mo pa fer cauchmar.

Dpi sa zour la, mo croire dan GOD.

Nusha
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vishaan on Sun 28 Nov 2010 - 15:45

Nussa, this can be explained via scientifically.
After I learn it in some few months I guess I will be able to explain it to you. Smile

Vishaan
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Sun 28 Nov 2010 - 19:04

well nusha, seki moi mo penser ki ine kav fer toi aret fer cauchemare etc..., c'est que, tone place to belief que everything will be alright while reciting the hanuman chalisa and so tone aret pren compte bann zafers ki ti p fer toi gagne per!

si to pane compren, mo p rod dir ki tone rely and hope that the hanuman chalisa will help you get through this bad phase and it did because mentally you no more had the same fears anymore as you maybe you thought that "god will help make everything right". it's your confidence that everything will be alright that helped you from having bad dreams!

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Nusha on Sun 28 Nov 2010 - 19:34

Wi to explique moi Vishan. Ziska ler mn pan ressi comprend kouma dimoune kpv fer cauchmar. Mn deja demande 1 docteur mais fasson lin explik moi, mo pn comprend narien.

Jeet, sa cauchmar la in fer moi vin pli solide mentallement. Souvent mo dormi dan 1 la caze tousel et mo pa gagne peur. Kan mo bn lichien zaper la moitier la nuit mo ouvert la fenetre mo gueT Smile

Nusha
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 28 Nov 2010 - 20:34

Nusha Bundhoo wrote:Longtemps mo pa ti p tro kasse tete ek sa bn zafer la priere la. Kouma arrive 6 heures mo mama ti p dire moi ale fer la priere et vite vite mo allume la lampe et chandal san fer aucun la priere. Very Happy

Laner dernier lepok exams, mo ti p travail 1 past papers. Ti arrive vers 2 heures du matin. 1 koup mn senti kitchoz kin passe derrier moi. Mo konner ki li ti 1 illusion. Mais mo ti gagne xtra per...Mn commence fer bn la priere ki mo konner.

Passe imper zours, mo commence fer cauchmars 1 tas fois. Then 1 kamarade in dire moi fer Hanuman Chalisa et lin montrer moi 1 la priere Lord Shiva. Kan mo fer sa vraimem mo pa gagne peur. Mo pa fer cauchmar.

Jeet wrote:well nusha, seki moi mo penser ki ine kav fer toi aret fer cauchemare etc..., c'est que, tone place to belief que everything will be alright while reciting the hanuman chalisa and so tone aret pren compte bann zafers ki ti p fer toi gagne per!

si to pane compren, mo p rod dir ki tone rely and hope that the hanuman chalisa will help you get through this bad phase and it did because mentally you no more had the same fears anymore as you maybe you thought that "god will help make everything right". it's your confidence that everything will be alright that helped you from having bad dreams!
You're spot on, Jeet. That said, it's not necessary to place your faith in the non-existent God when you can place it in yourself.

Nusha Bundhoo wrote:Wi to explique moi Vishan. Ziska ler mn pan ressi comprend kouma dimoune kpv fer cauchmar. Mn deja demande 1 docteur mais fasson lin explik moi, mo pn comprend narien.

Jeet, sa cauchmar la in fer moi vin pli solide mentallement. Souvent mo dormi dan 1 la caze tousel et mo pa gagne peur. Kan mo bn lichien zaper la moitier la nuit mo ouvert la fenetre mo gueT Smile
What you experienced was almost very similar to the placebo effect, nothing else. Wink

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vishaan on Sun 28 Nov 2010 - 20:35

Nusha Bundhoo wrote:Wi to explique moi Vishan. Ziska ler mn pan ressi comprend kouma dimoune kpv fer cauchmar. Mn deja demande 1 docteur mais fasson lin explik moi, mo pn comprend narien.

mo pa ou voisin Vishan la mwa. Mo nom ena 2 'a'. Vishaan. Smile

wi its psycological sa Varun. Mai ena enn post dont to pann reply lor sa ditou.. lor seki Mamu Sooveer ine dir. Rolling Eyes

Vishaan
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 28 Nov 2010 - 21:11

Vishaan wrote:wi its psycological sa Varun. Mai ena enn post dont to pann reply lor sa ditou.. lor seki Mamu Sooveer ine dir. Rolling Eyes
sooveer wrote:eta zozo to koir dan to mama ek papa? mo penc oui ! ki faire ? pars ki bann la fine kreer toi et pa sipa ki Dawson.........Alor lom ki sann la fine kreer? Le Createur bien sur. Ki est ce CREATEUR ?...............Dawson ?
If you're referring to his above quoted post, Vishaan, then may be you didn't read this bit.

In other words, I do believe in existent beings such as my parents but I absolutely do not believe in unproven absurdities like God or religion.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Mon 29 Nov 2010 - 11:27

Nusha Bundhoo wrote:Longtemps mo pa ti p tro kasse tete ek sa bn zafer la priere la. Kouma arrive 6 heures mo mama ti p dire moi ale fer la priere et vite vite mo allume la lampe et chandal san fer aucun la priere. Very Happy

Nusha, avan mo ti enn dimoune religieux. Mo paran ti dir moi alim sandal gramatin-tanto, fer la prier. Kan ena exams, fer laprier pou ki dieu ed moi pou passé. B tousa la fos parski tou dimounn koné ki si to pa aprann, to pa pou passé. Bondié la kot ine al casyet lerla?

Enn foi mo ti guet enn fim horreur ek mo pa ti p kapav dormi asoir parski tou kalité pansé ti p hant moi. Mo ti alim la limier enn nuit ek lerla monn kapav dormi. La limier a ce moment la ine ed moi pou gagne confians en moi, li ti simplement enn pretex pou ki mo kapav dormi. B parey, sa bondié ki to p dir ine ed toi pou pa fer cosmar la c zis enn pretext pou ki to aret fer cosmar. All you need is to be self-confident. Everything is in your mind, the rest is bullshit. Wink

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Nusha on Mon 29 Nov 2010 - 15:43

Wi zt ena raison. Mn tire sa bn mover penser dpi dan mo latet. Mais mo ena croyance dan bon dieu. Perhaps because of external factors like the place where I live itself. Since my childhood, I have been taught different kinds of holy scriptures.

Nusha
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 29 Nov 2010 - 21:12

So, what have you voted and how do you sustain your belief?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nusha on Tue 30 Nov 2010 - 20:57

Well Varun, I have voted for theist.

Year 2010-A year full of ups and downs. If I have danced upon the announcement of my results at the beginning, I have cried a lot at the dawn. At the start I used to blame God for all my tears which I shed.

Once, I found my Dadi asking God for my well-being. Then I asked myself, if others can pray for me, why don't I become a bit serious with these matters?

I started by reading Ramayana and understanding its true content. I also put them into practice and it is helping me to move ahead in life.

Here I am, a great believer in God.

Nusha
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Tue 30 Nov 2010 - 23:30

First, have you gone through the whole topic? If it is a yes then, how do you prove the existence of your God? If it is a no then, go through it first before bringing forward any statement.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nusha on Wed 1 Dec 2010 - 9:07

Sorry guys, I have talked nonsensical things and have gone out of subject. I can answer your questions, Varun. Again this is my way of thinking; others may have different perceptions.

Who is God?
God can be anyone. It's after performing our actions as required and following the cycle of nature that one is respected and considered as God.

Where is God?
God is found in our mind and our soul. His actions have so much inspired us that we start finding Him in books, statues, trees amongst others.

What is God's role?
God's role is to set examples for others to follow. He does so by engaging in his duties and required actions.

Where is the soul?
When one takes birth, his soul is found within oneself. It's only after he has performed his deeds that this soul will merge with someone's else soul. When someone dies, it's only the body of the person which decays; the soul will enter a new-born one or may directly merge with that of God.

Of what is made up the soul?
A soul is made of the deeds of someone - be it good deeds or bad deeds.

What is the soul's role?
A soul does not have any role. It's our roles which impact on the soul.

These are my point of views and I have great respect for the way of thinking of others.

Nusha
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Wed 1 Dec 2010 - 12:55

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Nusha on Wed 1 Dec 2010 - 13:16

I know my way of thinking is a bit archaic, Sneha Smile

Nusha
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 1 Dec 2010 - 19:42

Varun wrote:First, have you gone through the whole topic? If it is a yes then, how do you prove the existence of your God? If it is a no then, go through it first before bringing forward any statement.
You didn't answer my first question but I guess you haven't gone through the whole topic because all of your points have already been debated long ago. Anyway, let's analyze them... Wink

Nusha wrote:Who is God?
God can be anyone.
Indirectly you mean that there may be approximately 6.9 billions of Gods on Earth itself. WOW... I'm amazed! Shocked

Nusha wrote:Where is God?
God is found in our mind and our soul.

Where is the soul?
... When someone dies, it's only the body of the person which decays; the soul will enter a new-born one or may directly merge with that of God.
What happens to that part of the God which was residing in our mind after death? Suspect

Nusha wrote:What is the soul's role?
A soul does not have any role. It's our roles which impact on the soul.
What is its use of being present then? confused

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nusha on Wed 1 Dec 2010 - 20:52

Someone may consider his parents, grand parents or teacher as his God. So every one on Earth may be God.

The God which was residing in our mind is in fact our belief.

The significance of the soul comes into action when the physical body of mankind has already decayed.

Nusha
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Thu 2 Dec 2010 - 11:05

Your statement simply backs Dawkin's book's title, The God Delusion. Neutral

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down