The Wonder Kid's Corner

Hello,

You are currently viewing this forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to our topics.

By joining our community you will have the privilege to create your own topics, reply to others' messages, respond to polls and access many other special features.

Join our community instantly... Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free of spam!

Be sure to check out the frequently asked questions or contact the administrators regarding any issue.

Warm regards,

The Board Management Team

Windows 7, The Ultimate One

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows 7, The Ultimate One

My very first experience with an operating system was with Windows 95 but I can barely recall anything about it as I didn't even possess a computer at that time. Later, came Windows 98 and it was the same thing for me as with Windows 95.

When I got my first computer, it shipped with Windows Me and this was the time when I really started learning computer stuffs. However, I had a hard time with Windows Me due to its instability and unreliability; queue a song and see your player crashing before your ears get to appreciate it, launch a game and get a BSoD, reboot your computer for a fresh start and see the operating system detecting some old new hardware... Still, I drove it for 2 years without any reinstallation, something which I still can't believe today.

I switched to Windows XP Home Edition in 2002 but quickly replaced it with the Professional Edition, which in turn got replaced by the Media Center Edition 2005 when I bought my first THX-certified sound system, the Logitech Z-5400. Windows XP was fast, robust and had a pleasantly redesigned graphical user interface compared to Windows 9x and Me. It also matured very well supporting every new technological advancement. The only complains I had with it was the lack of native AHCI support and the TCP connection limit but a slipstreamed and tweaked unattended setup option was always there.

When Microsoft released Windows Vista, I decided to build a new computer, which included an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2 GB DDR2-667 of memory and a GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB amongst others to cope with its hardware requirements. Moreover, DirectX 10 was announced as Windows Vista exclusive and KMixer was replaced by a new WaveRT port driver, meaning it was really time for a change.

Unfortunately, that was a horrible change... Even if I had a 10 GHz CPU and 16 GB of super fast memory with an ultra low CAS latency, my computer would have still sucked in delivering a decent performance. The worst part of it was the sound quality and as audio was no more processed on hardware, things like EAX disappeared. Luckily, Creative Labs came up with ALchemy and rolled out some new drivers. My Sound Blaster X-Fi was back to business but sound quality and gaming experience remained inferior to that of Windows XP. The only positive thing I saw in Windows Vista was the reinvented GUI but when you're on a high-end machine, you look for raw performance. So, I decided to make a U-turn and adopted my good old Windows XP once again.

At a certain point, my computer needed some upgrades and Windows XP began to show its wrinkles. I considered moving on the x64 Edition of Windows XP to allow my computer to use more than 3.25 GB of memory but the use of DirectX 10/10.1/11 woundn't have been possible yet. Coincidentally, Windows 7 Ultimate RC went public and I grabbed its x64 version to evaluate it...

I ran some benchmarks and noticed the results were better than Windows Vista and even Windows XP. I then listened to my favourite songs and exclaimed: “WOW!”
Finally, I installed Crysis and played for hours until I started feeling some back pains. The key words were very clear here... Speed, extreme fidelity audio capable and lightweight!

Now, with the gold version of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 already installed on my machine, my verdict is that it is what Windows Vista should have been but anyway, it's always a good feeling to see your operating system making the most out of your computer while not having to worry about investing in new hardware.

Post scriptum: Open source software lovers are also invited to participate.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

- Similar topics
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Windows 7, The Ultimate One :: Comments

Post on Fri 11 Sep 2009 - 17:33 by Prithvi

Windows Vista!
Sa ki bon sa!!

Frankly speaking, i just love the graphic on my LCD!
Comparing this marvellous windows to that of Windows Vista is a waste of time. It overpowers vista in every angle!
Thx Varun!

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 26 Oct 2009 - 19:32 by Kavi

Merci ban zen.....Sad
Zot fer mwa zalou....
Nw, mo nepli kapav zouer CS mem. Mari en yyt sa PC la...

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 26 Oct 2009 - 20:19 by Varun

Prithvi wrote:Windows Vista!
Sa ki bon sa!!
I guess that was a typo for Windows 7, isn't it? Wink

Prithvi wrote:Thx Varun!
Why are you thanking me? confused

Kavi wrote:Merci ban zen.....Sad
Zot fer mwa zalou....
lol!

Kavi wrote:Nw, mo nepli kapav zouer CS mem. Mari en yyt sa PC la...
This bit seems to be irrelevant to this subject. What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 26 Oct 2009 - 21:18 by Sneha

My computer is so outdated that I thought it wouldn't be compatible with Windows 7 but after a successful installation, I was so pleased. However, my happiness was short lived as due to the lack of a proper driver for my wireless internet dongle, I had to revert back to Windows XP. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 26 Oct 2009 - 21:22 by Varun

You should blame Orange for this...

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 5 Nov 2009 - 18:33 by Kavi

Varun, eski sneha osi so PC 1 antikiT pareil kuma pu mwa...??
Mem si in install windows 7, PC lin vin bien plu lant ki avan ek as you know varun, Mo pena pasiance mwa!!!!!:@

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed 9 Dec 2009 - 3:20 by simpleguy

My Windows 7 Experience:

1. Does not work with my Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI card. I had to install it on a SATA drive.

2. My Logitech Webcam, bought about 2 years ago does not work. Its not an el-cheapo model. The thing cost me around Rs 3,400

I am back to Windows XP for playing games. I'll poke at Windows 7 later perhaps.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 14 Dec 2009 - 8:59 by Jeet

Well for me Windows 7 is just too good.
The only thing lacking for a better experience is an LCD monitor and a good sound system and sound card.
While playing games on windows 7, one would surely notice that the graphics ar too good.
As for the sound, it's excellent,* according to the sound quality i heard at Varun's place.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu 17 Dec 2009 - 15:50 by Kavi

LOlz..............
Why not comparing the sound quality from ur place???Razz hahahahha

Well, i very satisfied with the performance of my computer..
Thx varun. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri 18 Dec 2009 - 10:34 by Jeet

Baappp tone satisfy aster la.
Sinon to ti pe plaigner!!
Be to koner kot moi so sound quality kifer pas autant bon, la raison c'est que avant pas moi ki ti pe gete bann zafer pu acheter pu Pc mais Vishaan, alors mo espere tone compren.

Ek si tone mal geter malin, mone écrire ki mo manker pu get a better experience from windows seven ultimate.

Last edited by Jeet on Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 13:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed some words)

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 15:56 by Varun

simpleguy wrote:My Windows 7 Experience:

1. Does not work with my Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI card. I had to install it on a SATA drive.
I don't think Microsoft is to be blamed for not providing a generic Windows 7 driver for a product which was introduced 7-8 years ago. Even my Creative X-Fi audio processor which is only 4 years old suffers from the same problem but I rely on Creative Labs to provide me with the drivers, something which they did when the RC1 version of Windows 7 was released. Anyway, this page says that Adaptec is planning a Windows 7 driver for your product shortly.

simpleguy wrote:2. My Logitech Webcam, bought about 2 years ago does not work. Its not an el-cheapo model. The thing cost me around Rs 3,400
Concerning the Logitech webcam, I also have a high-end Logitech webcam, the QuickCam Fusion, which I bought about 2-3 years ago too and it works fine on my Windows 7, again with the proper drivers provided by Logitech, not Microsoft.

simpleguy wrote:I am back to Windows XP for playing games. I'll poke at Windows 7 later perhaps.
Finally, talking about gaming on Windows 7... I love it as it's better than it was on Windows XP for me. You can check out my benchmarks here.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 20 Dec 2009 - 13:28 by Jeet

I fully agree with what ou said Varun, for the gaming.

I think so far my best experiences with every windows, is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 7:18 by Varun

On top of that there is DirectX 11... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 11:31 by Jeet

Ok.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 13:58 by Sneha

Varun wrote:On top of that there is DirectX 11... Very Happy
How will it be useful?

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 18:17 by Varun

DirectX 11 has brought some interesting new features such as:

1. Tessellation — to increase at runtime the number of visible polygons from a low detail polygonal model.
  2. Multithreaded rendering — to render to the same Direct3D device object from different threads for multi core CPUs.
  3. Compute shaders — which exposes the shader pipeline for non-graphical tasks such as stream processing and physics acceleration, similar in spirit to what OpenCL, NVIDIA CUDA, ATI Stream achieves, and HLSL Shader Model 5 among others.

New games like DiRT 2 and BattleForge require DirectX 11 for the best possible experience.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 19:39 by Jeet

Thanks for the answer Varun for Sneha's question.

I also got to learn these things about DirectX 11.

For me before i knew what you said, New DirectX's meant better versions of older DirectX's and not DirectX's accompanied with new features.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 5 Jul 2011 - 14:52 by vinesh

and note that to be able to to use directx 11 you need a graphic card that supports it lol

Windows 7 has done its work properly for the past year but now its time for windows 8 to take its place which is gonna release in middle 2012

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 5 Jul 2011 - 20:32 by Kavi

Eagerly wating for windows 8 Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue 14 Aug 2012 - 23:00 by Varun

It's almost here, Kavi. I'll be testing the RTM version of Windows 8 soon. Has anybody has had his/her hands on it?

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun 7 Oct 2012 - 13:49 by vinesh

I have tested windows 8. You cant enjoy this os unless you have a touchscreen monitor. Lack of a start menu made me dislike it and also many games do not run on it due to the cracks being incompatible.

Back to top Go down

Post Today at 5:51 by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum