The Wonder Kid's Corner

Hello,

You are currently viewing this forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to our topics.

By joining our community you will have the privilege to create your own topics, reply to others' messages, respond to polls and access many other special features.

Join our community instantly... Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free of spam!

Be sure to check out the frequently asked questions or contact the administrators regarding any issue.

Warm regards,

The Board Management Team

Forum Turned into a Public One

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do you prefer?

39% 39% 
[ 7 ]
61% 61% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 18

Forum Turned into a Public One

Post by Varun on Fri 13 Jun 2008 - 12:09

First topic message reminder :

Our forum is a private one, that is only registered users have access to it and they are allowed to discuss matters in privacy. On the other hand, if it becomes a public one it will open up discussions to a wider audience.

However, making it public doesn't mean anybody will be able to post anything. The forum will only be viewable to non-registered users and registration will always be mandatory for those who want to participate.

Please, share your views and vote for your choice.

Last edited by Varun on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 0:33; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Turned into a Public One

Post by Varun on Tue 15 Jul 2008 - 1:03

Chitra wrote:Hi

Mr. The Administrator , I re-iterate my wish to have my account from this forum deleted. Kindly do so please. Thanks

Chitra
At times I feel good to see teachers making grammatical errors... It's written reiterate. Wink

Anyway, let's come to the core of your statement now, Chitra. So, should I take the word reiterate as a second direct accusation or should I rather try finding a synonym for dumb? Razz

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Tue 15 Jul 2008 - 19:23

Oh my God! lol!

Reiterate seems to be a controversial word here. Chitra, when did you ask one of the administrators to delete your account from the forum before? Or, are you simply confirming what a real internet troll you are? Anyway, if you really wish to get your forum account deleted do it yourself instead of putting the hat on others.

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by visham on Wed 16 Jul 2008 - 7:42

for fcks sake ppl, the shortest jokes r the best! 'nuff said

visham
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Prithvi on Sun 20 Jul 2008 - 19:40

Is it?

Prithvi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 9 Aug 2008 - 21:06

Ow, am very late with this spicy topic.

Well I would go for private since it would be easy for moderators to manage the forum just like bhavna stated. Keeping it private will bring these people more closer and the friendly atmosphere will surely be present in the forum.

Chitra, I must say that you say things that are silly. I dunno whether you read others' posts well before you post yours (I dont think that you read your own posts once before posting them). Did you read this part well, because as a GP teacher you should be doing so. Isnt it?

Varun wrote:
I wrote:Please, share your views and vote for your choice.
Chitra wrote:Private no comments
Please, help! My level of allergy is going high.
Do you qualify this as an insult?

Bon gete sa mo faible dan englai mwa, mo koz creol trankil... Chitra, tne pren sa ban zaffer la au coeur. Mo accepter ar Varun ki to koz menti pu defann toem, puiske mne temoigne sa. Peut etre la to pu dir mo p insulter twa mai C n'est pas le cas.

Mne truv kelke choz tres komik. Kan discussion la p fini, to vin fer ene ti letour pu kme si diré refresh li en disant:
Chitra wrote:Hi
Mr. The Administrator , I re-iterate my wish to have my account from this forum deleted. Kindly do so please. Thanks
Chitra
Lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 15:02

Forget Chitra, Vishaan. She is a legend in her own mind. Razz

This poll has been very interesting so far. We've had 50% of votes for each option. Now, let's wait and see how this will shape up in the future.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 19:21

Where are others opinion Boss? Only twelve votes up till now.
Come on guys, vote for ur choice. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by k5 on Mon 6 Oct 2008 - 20:16

i have lots of Xperience abt forum, what i can say is that forum motion sucks. i had my first forum made there, and it grew very fast. BUT one day when i was not here, the forum got removed. u could not get ur domain again and u will lose all ur members and contact frm it. if u own ur own domain, and if sumthing happens to yO forum, all the active members can join again and u can start again and grow soon.
Thats all i have to say.

"Sorry for my bad english."

k5
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 6 Oct 2008 - 22:07

I don't know how much experience you have in managing forums, k5, and I completely ignore for what use you chose Forumotion (not forum motion Razz) for your forum to get removed but I have been using its services since more than 3 years now and I can only give it a score of 10 out of 10.

I founded some forums earlier and they worked perfectly fine for me. I never had the chance to complain and that's why I continue to keep with Forumotion.

I don't know whether you really read this whole topic as you stated in the chatbox moments ago but I have already responded to a very similar subject of yours from simpleguy. Wink

Last edited by Varun on Tue 7 Oct 2008 - 21:03; edited 1 time in total

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Tue 7 Oct 2008 - 11:03

K5 is right.
Varun, you really missed the point again. You are relying on a domain that is NOT under your control. It is not yours, period. It can be removed at any time. Keep using forumotion's services if you want but for crying out loud, get your OWN domain and point it there. If, for some reason, you lose your hosting at forumotion, you can always get your forum hosted at some other place AND people can still reach it using the domain name that is under YOUR control.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by k5 on Tue 7 Oct 2008 - 22:28

if u need hosting i can host u.

k5
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Tue 7 Oct 2008 - 22:41

simpleguy wrote:K5 is right.
Varun, you really missed the point again. You are relying on a domain that is NOT under your control. It is not yours, period. It can be removed at any time. Keep using forumotion's services if you want but for crying out loud, get your OWN domain and point it there. If, for some reason, you lose your hosting at forumotion, you can always get your forum hosted at some other place AND people can still reach it using the domain name that is under YOUR control.
I thought we already discussed about those things, simpleguy, and I assume you already know that this forum is part of www.VarunRamburn.co.nr.

k5 wrote:if u need hosting i can host u.
Thank you, k5, but it's okay. I'm very much satisfied with the resources at my disposal at this time. Wink

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Wed 8 Oct 2008 - 1:33

You don't have control over .co.nr services neither.

Varun, stick your head out of the sand. You have a horrible planning or maybe you have trouble understanding what proper planning is.

I think this thread about going public or private has served its purpose. Since you don't want to plan things properly, I guess its private all the way.

Lock thread?

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 8 Oct 2008 - 1:43

Better lock this in your head, simpleguy... Razz

I wrote:I created this forum just to have a platform for an online community, nothing more and nothing less. Your suggestion about having my own host is without doubt very advantageous compared to the existing one and I fully acknowledge it as a better option. However, I do not intend to invest more than what I've been doing till now in/for the forum due to some personal reasons. On the other hand, I do not rule out the possibility of moving in your suggested direction but that will be in the long run, not in the near future.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Wed 8 Oct 2008 - 11:48

*rolleyes*

My point was and is still about having your own DOMAIN, not web host.
Where you host your resources can be volatile. What's important is to have a DOMAIN that is under your control so that your HOSTING can move around from provider to provider and your DOMAIN will keep pointing at it.

But yes, you do agree that this thread has served its purpose? Nothing valuable about going public/private can be added to it anymore.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 8 Oct 2008 - 13:51

simpleguy wrote:*rolleyes*

My point was and is still about having your own DOMAIN, not web host.
Where you host your resources can be volatile. What's important is to have a DOMAIN that is under your control so that your HOSTING can move around from provider to provider and your DOMAIN will keep pointing at it.
First, I would like to correct a little grammatical mistake of mine...

Varun wrote:Better lock this in your head, simpleguy... Razz

I wrote:I created this forum just to have a platform for an online community, nothing more and nothing less. Your suggestion about having my own host and domain is without doubt very advantageous compared to the existing one and I fully acknowledge it as a better option. However, I do not intend to invest more than what I've been doing till now in/for the forum due to some personal reasons. On the other hand, I do not rule out the possibility of moving in your suggested direction but that will be in the long run, not in the near future.
Please, accept my apology on this matter. Embarassed

simpleguy wrote:But yes, you do agree that this thread has served its purpose? Nothing valuable about going public/private can be added to it anymore.
This is topic is about what you, the forum members, think is best, make it public or keep it private. We, you and I, discussed on some particular aspects concerning these 2 options. However, limited resources don't always mean limited possibilities. This forum is growing and let's see what others think on the initial question.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Wed 8 Oct 2008 - 15:35

I am for going public if

1. You as the founder and administrator has more time to devote to it. Something which you are unable to do presently.

2. You take control of your domain. Hosting is fine as it is, assuming you make regular OFFLINE backups.

Where the hell is everyone else? Don't you have anything valuable to add to this thread? Come on :-) *knock knock*

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 8 Oct 2008 - 22:02

I am a human being just like everybody and I have other responsibilities also. So, I can't monitor this topic board on a non-stop 24/7 basis. We are growing gradually and it will take some time before we get a "home audience", which can in turn help to monitor the forum as administrators/moderators. Hence, I believe it can prove fruitful to give it a trial as a public forum with the existing resources. Idea

Concerning backups, I will need to look for a solution and I would happily welcome any helping hand. Smile

As for the shy members, I think they are only confirming that our world is becoming more and more poor and selfish. What a Face

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Thu 9 Oct 2008 - 10:03

I can help you with backups.

rsync over SSH, FTP, unison, mysqldump are some of my tools of trade.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sat 11 Oct 2008 - 12:09

That's good. Smile

So, do you agree that we can step up and go public for a trial with the resources we have at this time to later catch up with more meaningful investments if it proves to be successful?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Sat 11 Oct 2008 - 17:01

The only resource missing so far is time from you and a domain. The backup issue is solved. As far as a domain is concerned, I can do the same as I did for a chatroom once on DALnet.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sat 11 Oct 2008 - 22:30

Are you talking about #Evasion, simpleguy? scratch

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Sat 11 Oct 2008 - 22:34

Yes, I am talking of #Evasion.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 12 Oct 2008 - 11:34

Okay, what do you suggest here?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Sun 12 Oct 2008 - 12:12

I can donate a domain which would be more appropriate for a public forum than something bearing your name.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 12 Oct 2008 - 21:23

I'm not too sure I really understood what you just said, simpleguy.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Sun 12 Oct 2008 - 22:05

I said I can

1. Donate an appropriate domain name for the forum instead of you using varunramburn.topic-board.com
2. Provide disk space and scripts to make offline backups

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 12 Oct 2008 - 22:11

simpleguy wrote:I can donate a domain which would be more appropriate for a public forum than something bearing your name.
This is what I didn't understand in particular.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by visham on Mon 13 Oct 2008 - 0:52

seriously, u expect to go 'public' with a url bearing ur name? alrite, ur gna give examples like anandtech/tom's hardware, but those websites have highly specific content, unlike the more 'general', if not personal, content available here.

On another note, who's interested in what you ate a couple of days ago, who you met up with, how many babies u wanna have, lil fites between cousins n all that bs?

Sure, it's fine when it's in a private environment with people u actually knw, but the general public?

Oh, n if ur about to ask me to be 'clearer', i cnt be any clearer than this!

Smile

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Last played:

http://www.last.fm/user/vishxxx

visham
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Mon 13 Oct 2008 - 9:20

+1 for visham. Said what I was going to say.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 13 Oct 2008 - 12:58

visham wrote:seriously, u expect to go 'public' with a url bearing ur name? alrite, ur gna give examples like anandtech/tom's hardware, but those websites have highly specific content, unlike the more 'general', if not personal, content available here.

On another note, who's interested in what you ate a couple of days ago, who you met up with, how many babies u wanna have, lil fites between cousins n all that bs?

Sure, it's fine when it's in a private environment with people u actually knw, but the general public?

Oh, n if ur about to ask me to be 'clearer', i cnt be any clearer than this!

Smile
First, it's not yet decided about which path to take; to go public or to remain private. We are still looking at things like you and others are pointing at, Visham.

Now, at a first thought, what you just said seems to have lots of weight but then, how do you expect us to evolve? Think well, there need to be a start somewhere and this is how we have started... What did you eat a couple of days ago, who did you meet up with, how many babies do you intend to have, little fights between cousins and all.

At this point, we have about 65 registered users and 55 of them are almost inactive. What do you expect 10 active users to discuss, out of which only 2 or 3 people tend to create topics regularly?

If you opt to remain in a closed environment, there will come a point where you see things becoming saturated, a bit like how it is here right now. We don't have enough people who are ready to create topics or to promote discussions with real debating ideas. Where are we heading with LOL, I agree, nice debate, no comment, etc?

On the other hand, if we go public we will have more chances to see what you and I want to see happening; lots of different mindsets coming up with various types of important topics and lots of ideas to ponder on and discuss.

I am not saying that if the forum goes public it will yield positive results to a great extent but right now, you only need to take a look at the statistics to see what we should be expecting in a few months' time.

I also never said I'll always stick to http://varunramburn.topic-board.com for the URL. What I'm saying is let's step up and try new things, let's see if we can make it without too much investments and if things really prove to be worthwhile then we can consider changes.

Finally, is it this topic becoming a taunting game or do you intend to practice what you said is lacking in the forum because if you cannot do it in a closed room then, may be some other new people would be tempted to do it in a public environment.

simpleguy wrote:+1 for visham. Said what I was going to say.
Was it a confirmation of what I just criticized or are you going to change the score, simpleguy? Suspect

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by visham on Mon 13 Oct 2008 - 14:25

Now, at a first thought, what you just said seems to have lots of
weight but then, how do you expect us to evolve? Think well, there need
to be a start somewhere and this is how we have started... What did
you eat a couple of days ago, who did you meet up with, how many babies
do you intend to have, little fights between cousins and all.

At this point, we have about 65 registered users and 55 of them are
almost inactive. What do you expect 10 active users to discuss, out of
which only 2 or 3 people tend to create topics regularly?

The list of 10 active users consists of people close to you. The majority (55 users!) are inactive. Why? Coz the topics being discussed are of no interest to most of them. (This includes lengthy 'conversations' in the intro section).

On the other hand, if we go public we will have more chances to see
what you and I want to see happening; lots of different mindsets coming
up with various types of important topics and lots of ideas to ponder
on and discuss.

You have a point. But, think about it this way - somebody registers him/herself as a user. What's the first thng he/she does? Chk out topics being discussed. What does he/she see? Semi-personal conversations between people who obviously know each other. Most of the time, the new user will feel like an outcast, n simply logout, n never come back again. (This is probably why around half of our userbase have a low post count).

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Last played:

visham
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Mon 13 Oct 2008 - 15:14

It was one mark for visham for understanding my point about having a public forum without varun's name on the URL. Currently people come here because they know you personally Varun.

Go public and be surprised why people don't give a rat's ass who Varun is and why they should come to his forum. Chose a catchy domain (I'll donate it), set up some backup scripts and go public. Go public with the current setup and you'll encounter failure. (aka EPIC PHAIL to some of you who understand the lingo)

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 13 Oct 2008 - 15:28

visham wrote:Oh, n if ur about to ask me to be 'clearer', i cnt be any clearer than this!
Indeed! This is because you only repeated my observation in your last post. I was much eager to rather get a reply about this bit...

I wrote:Finally, is it this topic becoming a taunting game or do you intend to practice what you said is lacking in the forum because if you cannot do it in a closed room then, may be some other new people would be tempted to do it in a public environment.
So, visham?

simpleguy wrote:It was one mark for visham for understanding my point about having a public forum without varun's name on the URL. Currently people come here because they know you personally Varun.

Go public and be surprised why people don't give a rat's ass who Varun is and why they should come to his forum. Chose a catchy domain (I'll donate it), set up some backup scripts and go public. Go public with the current setup and you'll encounter failure.
I think I already accepted those points, simpleguy. See...

I wrote:I also never said I'll always stick to http://varunramburn.topic-board.com for the URL.

simpleguy wrote:(aka EPIC PHAIL to some of you who understand the lingo)
I'm recalling someone who would rather suit to this expression of yours. Any guess, friends? lol!

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by visham on Mon 13 Oct 2008 - 15:50

Finally, is it this topic becoming a taunting game or do you intend to
practice what you said is lacking in the forum because if you cannot do
it in a closed room then, may be some other new people would be tempted
to do it in a public environment.

So now ur on about the fact that i barely ever start any topic? I have a simple explanation for that - i dnt thnk anybody in here shares the same interests as me. (except gaming) + Am not really into turning everythng into a discussion topic (e.g. 'Hey, i like this car, but u dnt? how come? let's discuss this on the forum' or 'i want a tv in the kitchen!! wat? i dnt!! again, let's discuss this on the forum') Rolling Eyes

Last played:

visham
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 13 Oct 2008 - 15:59

It's a discussion board after all. I can't create every topic myself. I created topics which interested me and that was a little fun for me and for those who replied. At least, I know I made an effort... That's it!

Now, if you don't think everybody shares the same interest as you then, you should try it before jumping to such a conlusion.

I'm not saying this only to you, visham, but to everybody else who feels shy at expressing themselves.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by visham on Mon 13 Oct 2008 - 16:32

Finally, is it this topic becoming a taunting game or do you intend to
pactice what you said is lacking in the forum because if you cannot do
it in a closed room then, may be some other new people would be tempted
to do it in a public environment.

So, visham?

I'm not saying this only to you, visham, but to everybody else who feels shy at expressing themselves.

You are contradicting yourself.

Now, if you don't think everybody shares the same interest as you then, you should try it before jumping to such a conlusion.

Fine, who here knows what a compass forcefield is? Anybody in for a discussion on MD computational methods? Rolling Eyes Just as i thought...

Last played:

visham
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Tue 14 Oct 2008 - 10:11

Oh, come on, visham... That wasn't a real point.

Anyway, is it time to take a decision or are there other things to discuss?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Oct 2008 - 11:18

Suspect
Trying to see which has got more weight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 0:29

One year later...

The board was created on the 18th of August 2007 but I made it active in January 2008. From January 2008 to December 2008, the forum recorded more than 7250 posts. I guess that was a very good starting point. However, from January to 2009 to the 20th of December 2009, only 1309 messages were posted.

The statistics are clearly showing that the forum is on a downfall but I want to stop this. So, in the hope of opening the forum to a wider audience, I have decided to make the forum a public one; that is, it will be viewable to guests but registration will still be mandatory for those who want to participate.

Another reason sustaining this decision is the recent implementation of the blog as it wouldn't have been a wise decision of keeping a blog active if the replies are kept unviewable to unregistered readers.

Of course, your arguments, ideas and votes are still welcome... Smile

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 12:19

The option that i want to suggest is that, since the forum is now public, there some things users might not like guests to see.

So i suggest that if an option, to protect a particular topic from being viewed by guests to be created.
That is there might be some intimate things in a topic and a few users would not like guests to see those.

Share your views friends, perhaps am wrong!

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 15:54

Do you think people will come here to discuss intimate things? This is not a dating place or a family's dining table after all. Razz

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 16:00

Exactly... Who knows the guests might be interested in joining in our forum after reading what members have posted in some topics? Smile

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 16:52

Jeet wrote:The option that i want to suggest is that, since the forum is now public, there some things users might not like guests to see.

So i suggest that if an option, to protect a particular topic from being viewed by guests to be created.
That is there might be some intimate things in a topic and a few users would not like guests to see those.

Share your views friends, perhaps am wrong!

Jeet, here is one of the rules of the Internet:

If there is something you don't want everyone to be able to read, do not put it online. Any embarassing things, intimate stuff, compromising things about yourself is ultimately viewable by a few million people if you do not keep it to yourself.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 19:43

Well said, simpleguy. Here's another reason to which I agree.

Last edited by Sneha on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 19:54; edited 1 time in total

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeet on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 19:45

Ok, i forgot.
Thanks for reminding me simpleguy.

Jeet
Board Veteran
Board Veteran