The Wonder Kid's Corner

Hello,

You are currently viewing this forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to our topics.

By joining our community you will have the privilege to create your own topics, reply to others' messages, respond to polls and access many other special features.

Join our community instantly... Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free of spam!

Be sure to check out the frequently asked questions or contact the administrators regarding any issue.

Warm regards,

The Board Management Team

Forum Turned into a Public One

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do you prefer?

39% 39% 
[ 7 ]
61% 61% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 18

Forum Turned into a Public One

Post by Varun on Fri 13 Jun 2008 - 12:09

Our forum is a private one, that is only registered users have access to it and they are allowed to discuss matters in privacy. On the other hand, if it becomes a public one it will open up discussions to a wider audience.

However, making it public doesn't mean anybody will be able to post anything. The forum will only be viewable to non-registered users and registration will always be mandatory for those who want to participate.

Please, share your views and vote for your choice.

Last edited by Varun on Mon 21 Dec 2009 - 0:33; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Turned into a Public One

Post by visham on Fri 13 Jun 2008 - 12:15

i voted public, but a name change will be required for that Smile

visham
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavi on Fri 13 Jun 2008 - 12:53

B 1 zafer kifer pu bzn change of name?

Kavi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by visham on Fri 13 Jun 2008 - 13:16

havin someone's name as the url and calling the forum 'the wonder kid's corner' doesnt really sound public, does it?

visham
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavi on Fri 13 Jun 2008 - 17:28

Ya dats true...

ki to dir varun??

Kavi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Jun 2008 - 20:53

yea i fink it shud b a public one...bt yea vishaam ena raison...The Wonder Kid's Corner sounds too private...ek si li vine public ban dimune pu kv read ban posts la ek zot pu plis intereC pu rente lor forum la Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Sat 14 Jun 2008 - 10:04

I voted public, also. It's true that the title of this forum seems private, but this forum is part of Varun's website. Anyways, could you help suggesting suitable names for this forum?

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by visham on Sat 14 Jun 2008 - 10:13

Dat's wat i mean. as long as it's part of his personal blog/website, it won't be appealing to the general public. Right now, it's more a private discussion board for people who actually know him.

visham
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Laza Cigi on Sat 14 Jun 2008 - 13:25

I opted for private. Anyways i had to. No opponents...
If u guys manage to get enough moderators, then i guess its ok to make it public. As for me, i will definitely change my name. Public will hopefully increase the number of people and posts. I do mind that unregistered people can read the posts. But this is my personal opinion. However, am sure there has to be a way for unregistered people to read only the first few lines of the posts and decide if they wanna register.
I have no problem with the wonder kid thing. I mean its just a fantasy name. And anyhow most of us do know him. So no big deal. The name actually sounds kool! Anyhow guys.
Good luck with that.

Laza Cigi
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varuni on Sat 14 Jun 2008 - 14:42

public for me too..but our pictures should be protected from the public attempting to take them... you see wat i mean..?

Varuni
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bhavna on Sat 14 Jun 2008 - 14:54

ok ok..i have no idea..varun in pren moi un peu a limprevue la..umm i personally wud prefer it to be private bekoz li vine plis couman close knitted thing..kapav make friends n like lot fois la even zouen ban users..li n pli small grup n plis manageable..n then ena tou dimoun ki varun conner ladan..adding other people wud make them feel outcasted a bit!
did i even make any sense here scratch ..aaargh..xams xams xams..

Bhavna
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Prithvi on Sat 14 Jun 2008 - 18:01

MO penC ki li bzin res private mem!!
Sinon tu kaliter dimune pu fini ggn access lor sa forum!!

Prithvi
Board Veteran
Board Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitra on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 12:23

Private no comments

Chitra
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 12:40

I wrote:Please, share your views and vote for your choice.
Chitra wrote:Private no comments
Please, help! My level of allergy is going high. affraid

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 13:02

Everyone has shared his/ her views as well as they have voted for their choice. What happened, Chitra? Don't you want to tell us the inspiration behind voting for the forum to remain private? Suspect

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by visham on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 13:10

Private no comments

lol! si pa ti ena comments.. ti kav nek vote sans dir narien.. persone pa ti pu kner tne vote private, ni kiken ti pu rode 1 xplikation Razz

visham
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 13:36

At times, I ask myself whether she is really dumb or does she pretend to be so? Anyway, no hard feelings, Chitra, but you really make laugh everytime you post something in the forum. Razz

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitra on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 13:39

Well Sneha, I've got a reason to vote private as I still remember a past bad experience...so here it is Rolling Eyes

Chitra
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by visham on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 13:43

meh, that wasn't very constructive, was it? Rolling Eyes

visham
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 13:48

Well, I would rather say it's the same chorus again, a typical chorus from Chitra. Razz

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 14:10

wahahahaha...i just love this gurl...enfin pa li mai telma li kuyon!!!mo ggn riyer!!!hahaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Nitish on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 14:47

mwa mo dir public n i agree with visham abt the changing of the name, maybe other persons will be interested with the forum

Nitish
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitra on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 16:32

Why cant people respect my decision of no comments there? When I say, I dont want to comment, then I dont. Varun is that why u were so adamant for me to rejoin this forum. I least expected this from u. Anyways thanks for all. Bye

Chitra
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 16:52

no comments...BWahahhahahahahahaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 16:59

Chitra wrote:Why cant people respect my decision of no comments there? When I say, I dont want to comment, then I dont.
In case you don't know what is a forum, it is a web application which allows its members to hold discussions. You posted something and we reacted to it. If you don't like it, then don't post stupid statements, simple!

Chitra wrote:Varun is that why u were so adamant for me to rejoin this forum.
Should I consider this as a desperate defensive argument? lol!

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Sun 15 Jun 2008 - 19:03

Chitra wrote:Why cant people respect my decision of no comments there? When I say, I dont want to comment, then I dont.
I agree with what Varun said because from the outset itself, Varun clearly stated that a forum should consist of intelligent response from every user which would keep it on-going. Just imagine if everyone acted like you and wrote stupid posts or even 'no comments' as answer to previous posts, would the forum be a success like it is, now?

When exactly was that when you left the forum, Chitra?

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Mon 16 Jun 2008 - 16:27

I find Varun's comment pretty rude.

"At times, I ask myself whether she is really dumb or does she pretend to be so? "

And perhaps out of line when I read the Netiquette guidelines on http://varunramburn.topic-board.com/notice-board-f12/netiquette-t16.htm

But then again, I suppose that the rules dont apply to you Varun because this is your forum?

I wish you practised what you preach.

Regards
Ajay

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 16 Jun 2008 - 20:28

Chitra's holly saver has finally landed... lol!

simpleguy wrote:I find Varun's comment pretty rude.
That was a nice oxymoron. Razz

simpleguy wrote:"At times, I ask myself whether she is really dumb or does she pretend to be so? "

And perhaps out of line when I read the Netiquette guidelines on http://varunramburn.topic-board.com/notice-board-f12/netiquette-t16.htm

But then again, I suppose that the rules dont apply to you Varun because this is your forum?

I wish you practised what you preach.
Chitra always sings the same song; non-relevant, non-constructive and stupid replies, which in turn simply "close" the topics. The Netiquette underlines very well what is expected from the users (Messages should contribute a topic being discussed or introduce a relevant idea.) and I will not shy away to preach if needed.

I do not think the users registered themselves to be in a dead room. The forum needs vivid and constructive arguments to move forward, which isn't Chitra's style at all.

Tip: Try reading all posts by Chitra in the forum first.

Now, this is where I go mad. As Sneha already pointed out, did this ever happen?

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Abhishek on Thu 26 Jun 2008 - 20:58

Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate sunny

Abhishek
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bhavna on Thu 3 Jul 2008 - 12:53

u guys should not have lash out at chitra like this..its not nice treating sme1 as stupid or dumb..i no she always makes short statement..n its irritating bt then hurting sme1's feelings is not very nice!

Bhavna
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Thu 3 Jul 2008 - 18:09

Who treated her as being dumb or stupid? I only asked whether she pretends to be dumb. There's a world of difference between saying someone's dumb and asking whether someone's dumb.

Either way, I am not sorry because I hate it when people make use of lies to defend themselves and I don't think you can blame me or all those who lashed out at Chitra for that.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Thu 3 Jul 2008 - 19:17

I was about to say the same thing, sweetheart, and I guess simpleguy also should have read it well before replying to our posts against Chitra. Anyway, let's put Chitra aside and concentrate on whether to keep our forum private or to make it public.

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Bhavna on Fri 4 Jul 2008 - 18:19

my bad! yea let keep to the subject..ok..no comments!!

Bhavna
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Sun 6 Jul 2008 - 10:28

Naah varun you're not going to feel sorry because you are right. Its just YOUR forum and the rules don't apply to you. Plain simple.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sun 6 Jul 2008 - 18:42

Simpleguy, that was a nice yet a futile attempt of flaming to support your troll friend, Chitra. lol!

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandhia on Mon 7 Jul 2008 - 16:31

weps public is better

Sandhia
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Tue 8 Jul 2008 - 13:23

Varun, go learn what the term troll means before using it.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneha on Tue 8 Jul 2008 - 18:39

simpleguy wrote:Varun, go learn what the term troll means before using it.
Sneha wrote:
When exactly was that when you left the forum, Chitra?
How do you qualify this, simpleguy?

Sneha
First Lady
First Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 8 Jul 2008 - 21:22

loooooooool... simpleguy ine mal interprete d meaning of troll in varun's context!! Chitra n vre 'internet troll' koz li post irrelevant n non-constructive things and she also provokes ppl with her lies!!

btw me in cancel mo vote ek in opT pu private forum..koz si li vine public pu ena tro bku dimune...ek zot pu post nimporte kwa!! enfin!! li bon kuma li eter la!

Back to top Go down

Post by visham on Wed 9 Jul 2008 - 6:24

guess what, i changed my mind as well. the 'admin' team simply aint ready to go public, nor are the topics being discussed of any interest to the general public!

visham
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Wed 9 Jul 2008 - 11:26

That being said, I rejoin Deesha's opinion that the forum is best left private. The reasoning is:

1. This forum *seems* to be a gathering grounds for people who probably have real-life ties.
2. I am not convinced of the managing team's aptitude to handle opposing views. Opening the forum to the public (read: millions of netizens) will bring in more opposing views and increase chaos.
3. The URL is not 'neutral'. It is one person's forum which is open to a closed group of friends and acquaintances.
4. Going public means gaining additional importance. Get rid of topic-board.com's services and move to your own hosting when going public.

Thats all that I can think of right now.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 9 Jul 2008 - 12:19

I prefer this kind of critique, simpleguy. Wink

Your first point is true because that was my first goal of creating this forum but then, we always have new ideas and making it public may demand a new URL as you stated in your third point.

However, I don't see any wrong in using Forumotion's (topic-board.com) services. May be you could elaborate a bit on this.

Last but not least, opposing views do not necessarily create chaos. It all depends on people's mindsets. If you are still pointing to Chitra's case with this particular point then, I will only reiterate my position because she baited me by a false accusation, which I think will do wrong to this forum. She neither left the forum nor she was banned/deleted and as a matter of fact, even if I wished I couldn't beg her to rejoin... Simple as that!

Last edited by Varun on Wed 9 Jul 2008 - 19:35; edited 1 time in total

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Wed 9 Jul 2008 - 14:36

Its silly building a community on resources that are not under your full control. Services provided by Forumotion are a privilege to you, not a right. Those privileges can be revoked at any moment. Once this happens, your forum is inaccessible via its popular URL.

Register your own domain name which is under your control and then point it to this forum in the meantime. Make sure you do regular database backups. Forumotion can crash, can close down, can [insert favourite catastrophe scenario here].

I am not going to elaborate about baiting and false accusations. I do not know if she has indeed left before or not. I have not pointed this out before in my earlier posts. My gripe was with you not following your own board's netiquette guidelines.

While we are talking about guidelines, whats up with this line on the Netiquette post:

Messages which contain hatred, insults, racism or sexuality will not be tolerated.

I hope the word "sexuality" is a typo for something which makes more sense, like "sexism".

Regards

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Wed 9 Jul 2008 - 19:00

simpleguy wrote:Its silly building a community on resources that are not under your full control. Services provided by Forumotion are a privilege to you, not a right. Those privileges can be revoked at any moment. Once this happens, your forum is inaccessible via its popular URL.
There are two ideas in the first part of this paragraph. The first one is about silliness which I totally disagree with and the second one is about the privilege which I fully acknowledge.

I can't see anything silly in it which allows me to make use of a free service offered by Forumotion. For sure this free service can be revoked at any moment for some reason but then, it's a bit like the Linux distributions which we both use. It's simply an acknowledged privilege and the risk zero doesn't exist.

simpleguy wrote:Register your own domain name which is under your control and then point it to this forum in the meantime. Make sure you do regular database backups. Forumotion can crash, can close down, can [insert favourite catastrophe scenario here].
I can't see anything wrong with the URL at the moment and concerning the security of the forum, rest assured, an automatic daily backup is activated.

I wrote:Your first point is true because that was my first goal of creating this forum but then, we always have new ideas and making it public may demand a new URL as you stated in your third point.
This ain't a necessity for a public website/forum though. AnandTech and Tom's Hardware are good examples sustaining my viewpoint where Anand Lal Shimpi and Dr. Thomas Pabst are the respective founders.

simpleguy wrote:I am not going to elaborate about baiting and false accusations. I do not know if she has indeed left before or not. I have not pointed this out before in my earlier posts. My gripe was with you not following your own board's netiquette guidelines.
You should have enquired about whether Chitra left before or not before telling me to go and learn what the term troll means. If you're referring to the below quoted post when talking about the forum's netiquette then, as an experienced netizen, you should have paid attention to the characters in bold and the emoticon.
I wrote:At times, I ask myself whether she is really dumb or does she pretend to be so? Anyway, no hard feelings, Chitra, but you really make laugh everytime you post something in the forum. Razz
It was simply a friendly way of teasing her just to make her see the logic but unfortunately, both of you took it as an insult.

simpleguy wrote:While we are talking about guidelines, whats up with this line on the Netiquette post:

Messages which contain hatred, insults, racism or sexuality will not be tolerated.

I hope the word "sexuality" is a typo for something which makes more sense, like "sexism".
Indeed, it was a typo and it has now been rectified. Thank you! Wink

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Thu 10 Jul 2008 - 9:40

Ill be more than happy to discuss the technical things (Silliness in not having control of your domain, what backups really are etc.) in a thread created for this purpose. Can you split this thread as from where we talk technical?

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Sat 12 Jul 2008 - 23:11

I guess it will be SILLY (your favourite word Razz) to split this topic because each of its reply is related to the previous post.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Sat 12 Jul 2008 - 23:51

1. How are your daily database backups done? Do you have an automated cron job on your webhost that just dumps the SQL database in some subdirectory? If this is the case, then its not a proper backup. A proper backup would be to YOU have an automated task on your personal computer to retrieve this database dump from your webhost periodically.

2. I do not know why you used Linux as an analogy when referring to privileges that can be revoked. Fact is, when you use open source, those privileges CAN'T be revoked.. thats one of the foundation blocks of OSS.

3. Ill explain clearly why its (I will stop using 'silly' now) stupid to build a community on resources that are not under siyour control

You want people to come here and contribute to the forum and be part of what can be considered a community. So in a few months that actually happens, this forum gains momentum, people start linking to it, its ranking on search engines increases, its rating on site popularity ranking sites like alexa increases and WHAM! Forumotion decides to close down or revoke your privileges to their service. All links are broken, dead forum (if you dont have REAL backups), users who have no clue whats going on etc.

Think about it.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Varun on Mon 14 Jul 2008 - 15:09

When I said it'll be silly (stupid sounds another nice word in this context Razz) to split this topic I thought you would understand that a new topic would be required to discuss your above mentioned ideas but anyway, I'll end it here itself...

I created this forum just to have a platform for an online community, nothing more and nothing less. Your suggestion about having my own host is without doubt very advantageous compared to the existing one and I fully acknowledge it as a better option. However, I do not intend to invest more than what I've been doing till now in/for the forum due to some personal reasons. On the other hand, I do not rule out the possibility of moving in your suggested direction but that will be in the long run, not in the near future.

simpleguy wrote:2. I do not know why you used Linux as an analogy when referring to privileges that can be revoked. Fact is, when you use open source, those privileges CAN'T be revoked.. thats one of the foundation blocks of OSS.
phpBB is an open source software too, available under the GNU General Public License, and it is sponsored by Forumotion, acting as a host. I'm simply taking advantage of a free service just like we download and use a free Linux distribution. Again, nothing more and nothing less.

Varun
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpleguy on Mon 14 Jul 2008 - 16:02

I think you have managed to answer what the poll was about originally.

If you cannot invest more (either financially or personally) in the forum, you cannot go Public. Going this way will require some resources on your behalf, which you are unable to provide at the moment.

I confirm my vote in the Poll: Stay private.

simpleguy
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitra on Mon 14 Jul 2008 - 19:37

Hi

Mr. The Administrator , I re-iterate my wish to have my account from this forum deleted. Kindly do so please. Thanks

Chitra

Chitra
Quiet Buddy
Quiet Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:49

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top